• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rawhide questions

She won't get the runs from eating something that is just a chew unless she had some fierce reaction to the flavour they put on some of them. I'd say she just has the runs (so don;t feed her for the next 12 hours and she how she is then). The edible ones on the other hand are a no-go for Lily, who gets explosive diarrhea from eating them.

A lot of people like booda bones or pizzle (bully) sticks. These are not high in calories and last a long time for most dogs.

I give the big flat rectangular sheets of rawhide all the time -- and remove them when they get small and throw the remainder away. They can't swallow these, as they are way too big -- like three to four inches across, some if them. They take ages for them to chew and they cannot bite off chunks.

Mine do not care for any of the non edible chew toys. :-|

I give Sasha the Merrick tendons (they look like swizzles) but I have to be ready to take it away when it's on the last "twist" or it gets stuck in her mouth. I have to trade for it with cheese!

Last week I gave her a bacon-flavored Booda bone for the first time & she loved it. I took it away when it started getting small (again, by trading!).

She likes to chew on Nylabones, sometimes breaking off tiny bits of it.

I've never given Sasha rawhide, as I've heard too many scary stories in regards to it. After reading the above posts, I'm glad I never did!

Most of ours get upset tummies from Dentastix - I do have some concerns about the ingredients of those and Jumbones.

I did used to give them pizzle sticks but Rupert cracked a molar on one - very unpleasant for him and he had to have an op to remove it...

We give the fish4dogs redskin rolls as a chew treat, and I keep clean nylabones {the non-edible ones} in the same container, so that they get the smell - this keeps the dogs interested in them.

Lily is doing great with the non-edible chicken flavored nylabone. She is knawing at it and getting little rice grain like pieces off, but that is it. I think I found something she can munch on, but not eat. Everything else, like even the flat rawhides, she can dempolish in 15 min. I am not joking! I have given those to her and she eats them like candy. The non-edible nyla might be the answer. I just like to have something for her to be occupied with, otherwise I am in trouble! :) Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still trying some as I want to be able to rotate and spice things up for her.

Back