• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Slipped disc

MadPip

Poor little Maddie lost her "bounce" on Monday evening, one minute she was running around as usual, next minute (probably after jumping up onto the windowsill to look out) she didn't seem able to jump up at all, and had difficulty getting up the step from the back garden into the house. She was walking and trotting around ok, and hadn't yelped at all.
Anyway, we rested her for 24 hours in case she'd pulled something, but when she was no better yesterday evening I took her to the vets. After x-rays today the vet says that there is a suspicion of a slipped disc :(, but of course this could only be confirmed by MRI.
Seeing as she is still neurologically intact (reflexes, bladder control, able to walk etc.) we have opted to go down the strict cage rest and anti-inflammatory route, as the vet feels even if she had an MRI that confirmed the slipped disc she would be unlikely to need surgery because her symptoms are mild. So I don't see the point in putting her through another GA to end up with the same treatment option.

Has anyone any suggestions for keeping her occupied once she starts to feel better? At the moment I don't think she'll mind the resting because she's too sore, but I don't think that will last the whole 6 - 8 weeks.

Many thanks

Ouch, poor Maddie! It sounds like a hurt disk -- Lucy was like this and she didn't need crate rest really, but then she's an older, calmer dog. Afetr some antinflammatories and doing a bt in the crates, and keeping a close watch on her, she was doing well after a week or two. She's never had a recurrence. I'd certainly suggest stuffed kongs -- use them for feeding her meals too -- and other chew toys.

Truman injured his back last year and was given meticam and put on strict crate rest. He was not supposed to jump or play with Miles, so he had to be crated, and he really didn't mind...good idea about the kong, that should keep him occupied :) I hope she feels better!

She's still not minding being crated, so I guess she's still sore.:(
I also noticed today when I took her into the garden for the toilet that she's pacing (moving front and rear left leg together then front and rear right leg rather than diagonal legs) which she's never done before. This is an easy relaxing gait for dogs, so means she's trying to minimise her pain by walking this way. Bless her.

When she starts to get fed up in the crate I'll know she's on the mend, and then the Kongs will be very useful.

I've gently passed on everyones hugs to her.

Back