• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

snail

rocky

i have caught vegas twice with a snail in his mouth i do watch him in the back garden but he is so quick i saw him yesterday pick up another one and i had to chase him in the house and pull it out his mouth yuk cavtiny

Vegas is doing what most Cavaliers do. See, stalk, catch, eat, and ask questions later.:grnyuk:

This is the time of year for the slimey slugsters to start doing their thing in the garden. Problem is, many people are putting out poisonous snail bait to eradicate them. This is extremely harmful and even fatal to pets and wildlife. We often get raccoons, opossum and larger birds in to our wildlife center that are showing signs of toxic poisoning due to this very problem. I have also heard that many dogs are rushed to the vets after eating a snail which has ingested the toxic bait.

I hand pick and toss snails, but there are pet and wildlife friendly formulas out there that have been proven safe. Another thing that works is a shoebox with a door cut into one end, place a shallow bowl of beer (yes beer) inside and the snails will be attracted to it and you can just toss the party goers in the morning.

Good luck!

i have caught vegas twice with a snail in his mouth i do watch him in the back garden but he is so quick i saw him yesterday pick up another one and i had to chase him in the house and pull it out his mouth yuk cavtiny

Oh thats hilarious - I'm forever 'rescuing' snails from Sparky!:jump:

You do need to remove snails asap and really, try to not allow dogs to get them, or slugs, in the first place. There's a quite serious (and potentially fatal) worm carried by slugs and snails that is around most geographical areas in the world. Also the issue of snails that have eaten snail pellets -- and therefore maybe the ones lying around in the open -- is also really serious. We had the horrific experience when I was younger of minding a dog that got into snail pellets one day and died very quickly.

If you have snail/slug pellets around, I'd advise throwing them out and getting some pet-safe organic snail control product. Traditional pellets are really attractive to pets, maybe because they look like kibble and I am sure have some scent that entices pets as well as snails.

we have serious snail issue around our condo community. they are everywhere!! even on the doors! i think they water way too much around here! its like sprinkler gone wild everyday...i dont think i cant do anything but to avoid them.

Back