• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Very scary wasp attack

Oh my goodness, that must have been so frightening, wasp stings can really bruise you badly too. My daughter and I were stung last year and the bruises were huge, about 8" on my daughter.

I used to work in a hospital and on the way to work I got stung, I thought they'd probably laugh but as I passed A&E on the way to my dept. I popped in, they said use vinegar too. The acid in the vinegar neutralises the alkaline in the sting.

Oh, but I just read this!

http://www.insectstings.co.uk/sting-acid-or-alkali.shtml

I'd still try vinegar if I got stung though.

How are you all now?

Last edited:
That's an interesting website. It also says this, which explains why poor Leo got the brunt of the attack. :(

Another feature unique to the wasp and hornet is that the venom contains a pheromone which alarms all other wasps in the area and invites them to join the attack on the victim. Whilst one can see the evolutionary and defensive benefits of such an alarm system, it is particularly worrying for the victim. Whilst bees therefore do fly in swarms and have the reputation for attacking in swarms, do not let the comparitively solitary journey of the wasp deceive since not only can one wasp sting more than once, but it calls all wasps nearby to come and help.

WOW - that is absolutely horrible - I am SO sorry! I hope the gang feels better soon. I would be so upset if that happened to Bailey, I can only imagine how you must feel. I'm very sorry :(

I can't even begin to imagine how upsetting this was for you and your dogs Karlin, Hope you are all doing a bit better now, and are all a bit more settled,

Lily seemed to emerge unscathed or maybe just one sting. She was wandering off at a distance from the other dogs and didn't have any wasps actually on her while Jaspar had a couple, but I was so focused on Leo who had clearly had multiple stings that I wasn't even paying that much attention to the other two. Jaspar had been stung but was uncomfortable more than distressed -- Leo was covered in wasps and literally moaning in pain and hardly moving. They were all caught up in his wet coat. :( I was just trying to get everyone on leads and back to the car, carrying Leo and still flicking wasps out of his coat and ears.

They are both back to themselves now after a long nap and a walk. :) The boys just want to curl up together.

Here they are this eve. I propped a soft bed up on the back of the sofa where they both like to sit.

866286653_db1bae09a8.jpg

Breaks my heart reading about that. I can't imagine the distress poor little Leo was in. Well....after our incident on Wednesday I can imagine the stress you were under. I'm just so glad that they are both okay. They look so sweet curled up together...two little bugs in a rug ;)

Karlin i hope both boys are back to there normal selfs this morning, sending :hug: for them :flwr:

Oh that is a horrible thing to have happen. Those poor we dogletts & poor you. :( Doesn't it just rip your heart seeing your dog in pain. Honestly I find it worse than seeing a human in pain as the critters don't understand what the pain is all about and you can't even tell them that in x amount of yours the pain will be all gone.

:hug: Hugs for all of you.

oh bless them - so glad they are ok.

I can remember my Father being badly stung by wasps when he was taking an old coal bunker to pieces - it really is scary.

I hope they are bouncing again today and you are feeling better too.

Glad to hear they're feeling better Karlin, they look so great together in the pic :luv:

Wow, that was just awful to hear about. Glad the kids are OK. Those ground wasps are really nasty, believe me I know. Anyone know if dogs can be allergic to stings like humans?

Yes, they can, Bruce. A friend's westie had a severe reaction and if he hadnt taken him straight to the vet his dog wouldn't have lived. Also of course the neck and throat can swell even if the dog (or person) isn't allergic -- and of course dogs often snap at flying bees and wasps! :yikes So I will definitely be getting in an antihistimine for emergencies now!

They are all fine this morning, thank goodness. I will never ever get that picture of Leo out of my mind, curled on the ground then nearly limp as I carried him. Of all the dogs he is the one I'd least want to have this type of pain -- not just because he has his own daily SM pain but because he has the sweetest, most trusting nature and is so gentle. He was almost comatose with pain, and you could see he was so confused at what had happened and wanted to be comforted.

Well, now I know that the pain lasts about an hour or so from those types of stings. But I hope I never se anything like that again. They started swarming at me when I picked up Leo but by then seemed to have finished most of their attack. :(

So glad everyone is okay today. I have a friend with boston terrier who is allergic to bee stings. She carries an injectable pen with her when she's out with him. Think I'll add some benadryl to my backpack for our outings!

I just can't get the picture of little Leo curled up on the ground out of my mind, just as I keep replaying Shelby's incident with the rottie. It just breaks your heart to feel helpless.

Hugs to all the kiddos.

I keep seeing Shelby being picked up by that rottie in my mind's eye too. I hate any time any of these doglets has a traumatic experience of any sort. :( It is consoling though and helps to be able to come and share the experience with others who will understand exactly how awful such things were. :flwr:

How awful! I'm glad they seem to be settling down.. poor babies!

When my kids were little they were running next to our garage and one of them stepped into a yellow jackets nest. A veritable SWARM came out and attacked them.... I was right there and made them all run into our enclosed back porch. My sons were each bitten around ten times and my poor little girl was stung 30 times! Those nasty yellow jackets sting again and again, and they actually hang on to the skin so they have to be picked off. I was stung about a dozen times trying to get the nasty things off the kids. I called the pediatrician immediately and I was to dose all three of them with Benedryl for three days. Luckily none of them had problems, although the stings themselves bothered them for about a week.

Nasty creatures... what purpose do they actually serve?! To me it seems they are a nuisance only!

Back