• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When do eyes open

Bruce H

Someone asked about eyes in a PM.

At around 10 days we start watching for the eyes to open. They open very gradually, taking a period of 12 to 36 hours to completely open (trying to go from memory here). From what I have read, when the eyes are first open, they really can't see much more than shadows and light. Aren't human babies supposed to be like that, too?

I really enjoy watching eyes open. It's one of those really "fun" milestones as opposed to the health milestone of doubling weight. Something maybe you don't know is that the ears are also closed at birth and don't open up til a few days after eyes open. So they are blind and deaf at birth and for a time after. Nothing wrong with their noses, though. They have no trouble finding mom and her "food scource" :)

I didn't know, until I started to get interested in cavaliers and puppies, that they were both blind and deaf at birth. What a steep learning curve they have, yet it all happens so quickly. I am also surprised at how quickly they double in weight, from your posts on their size! It makes sense but still seems almost a miracle that they grow so quickly.

Back