• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier popularity where YOU live

I think I mentioned this in another topic, however I was wondering about the popularity of Cavaliers as a breed in different parts of the world?

In australia, they are amongst the top ten most populare breeds of pedigree dogs. Generally speaking, a papered 'no breeding nor showing' cavalier will range in price from $650 to $850 australian.

A cavalier on 'main papers' as in CAN be bred from and shown can cost anywhere between $1000 and $3000 for bubs from imported stock (Sweedish stock pups go for the most, but there are very few of them).

Im interested in knowing how much cavaliers are worth around the world, how populare they are, do people have favourite colours etc etc???

Overe here, blenheims are by far the populare colour, and very very few people know that BT's and Rubies are infact cavaliers even!!!

While I lived in the UK I met the odd cavalier, but nowhere near the amount over here.

I was also interested to hear my mum say (Lives in Dallas) that is the 5 years she has lived in the states, not only has she never SEEN a cavalier before, but she has never even met ANYONE who has ever even HEARD of them!!!! I couldnt believe it!!!!! She did say that sausage dogs seem to be populare though.

Anyway very interested in hearing what people have to say about where they live.

Cheers all

Kyla

The Blenheims I would say are the most popular around our area, then Tris and then the Rubies and Black and Tans are rarer. Costs beginning of this year were normally boys GBP 500.00 and girls GBP 550.00

I dont think I can speak for the entire US as I think it does vary from where you are but where I live in NJ (the northeast) most doggies I know of go from $2000 and up. Before getting really into the breed I rarely saw Cavaliers in real life. A few times in the city and thats it. Cavys are no where near the top 10 I think in popularity in the US. I agree with the last poster in that I think Blens are the most popular world wide. My only thought on that is Blen is a recessive gene and thus if you breed a Blen to a Blen youll only get Blens therefore its the easiest to predict when choosing what color you want. I dont know if thats because more people see Blens around and thus when buying a Cavy want a Blen or the fact that breeders like the predictability and thus breed more of those.

Cavaliers must be rare here, because everyone who sees Lucky rushes up to him and says "OMG!!! That is the cutest puppy I've ever seen!".

If they'd seen another Cavalier, I think they'd be saying "OMG!! There's another of those cute doggies!"

Seriously, I've seen a few in the city (NYC) - during a huge event in Central Park (geared around dogs) I think we saw four other cavy's and we all gravitated toward each other.

And in the pet stores in NJ, I've run into two Cavy's. I also met two dogs at the doggie day care, so they are definitely gaining in popularity, but they are certainly not common, and Ruby's are much much less common. I've only met one "ruby" in person - by far the most have been Blens.

I know of a little ruby cavalier also from New Jersey, she belongs to Betty from another list and is a doll! she has a beautiful name as well "Lexi"

I think Blenheims are the nicest, I just adore them! saying that though the Tri's are winning me over slowly as well. :lol: :lol: :lol: especially since her ladyship came to us!

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

I have never seen another Cav where I live, in the South, USA. The only Cav I had ever seen was on a TV show (Sex and the City). which is what made me want one, I thought it was the cutest dog I have ever seen. The way she would cut those big eyes, and seemed so sweet. I was partial to fuzzy, puppy faced dogs all my life, having an Old English, and a Lhasa. But when I saw that little dog on TV (Elizabeth Taylor) I just fell in love with her. That was 4 years ago, and I have wanted one ever since. Most people do not even know what Lily is, excpet for the occasional trainer at the pet store or at the Vets. When people see her they think she is the cutest puppy they have ever seen, then ask what is she, a Cocker? When I tell them, they have never heard of a Cav.

When I decided on the breed I had only met about 3 of them in person. The first one I met was so wonderful...I was sold on the breed. In the past 4 years they have become increasingly more popular here in So California. When I first got Jake and someone mentioned they knew someone who had a Cavalier inevitably it was someone I knew. Now...not so. There are lots of them here...lots of back yard breeding going on. I try to educate but feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

A friend had theirs at the mall in the stroller. Someone started talking to them and said they knew someone with two Cavaliers....in fact, this person also had a stroller for their two...it was me!! It's still a fairly small Cavalier world but getting bigger all the time.

Well there are my two and 5 more that I know of just within yards of my house. There are also another six that I have seen out walking right near to my house too - so I guess we must live in Cavalier heaven :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have seen two others here in Destin and my sister's condo building in Colorado has two - they are rare but gaining in popularity which in the US may not be the best thing for the breed.

I live in Oklahoma and they are very rare here. I only know of 2 other people that have them besides me. When people see them they for sure run over and ask tons of questions... at first they think they are a cocker but I am quick to correct them...
I have only seen Blenhiems around here and occasionally they are in the news paper in Oklahoma City. All Blenhiems though...
They run around $600+ in Oklahoma. $2000 + if you want show quality or whole colored ones.

There are quite a few where I live. My neighborhood has about 4; I know that there are some in the neighborhood just down the street and I have seen quite a few others in the area. NOT an oddity around here, though people don't always know what a Cavalier is (though plenty do because of Sex and the City).
I have known about them all my life; in Europe they seem more common, but it's true in the US I never saw all that many where I lived before, and it's only in the last few years that I've noticed as many in Chapel Hill (of course since we have one now my husband and I are told all the time about colleagues and students that their family has one or more or they ahve neighbors or friends who have one... so it seems to be a fairly well-known breed around here)

Claire said:
The Blenheims I would say are the most popular around our area, then Tris and then the Rubies and Black and Tans are rarer.

I think in Ontario Canada - that line up is about the same here. When I started looking at breeders over 50% had blenheims available, tri's are a little cherished by breeders so harder to get and I saw only a handful of Ruby litter possibilites and RARELY tans.

Funny you just posted this, because I just got an email from my breeder. Originally I was trying to up my odds for a tri because that's what my daughter insisted on - personally, I had a thing for the blenheims. But the litter born has 2 tri girls that maybe going to show homes, leaving the reality of a tan/black for us.

Since being on this site, I noticed U.S. all colours are popular and have seen so many rubies and tan/blacks that I absolutely adore both now, perhaps because the are rarer.

In terms of us, this site has made me love all the colours - quite honestly at this point I really dont have a preference for one colour over the other - what a do have a preference for is seeing the combo colours! you know how a ruby looks great beside a bleinhiem or tan, then the bleinhiem with a tri - and forget it when I see all four together, I just love it! I'm scaring my husband pointing these things out - but I keep saying oh come one, they are so little, all 4 would take up less space than our lab did..

In 2005, Cavaliers had the 31st highest registeration of new dogs with the AKC (American Kennel Club) at 7678. This number, of course, only includes dogs registered with the ACKCSC, the AKC parent club. If Cavaliers are registered only with the CKCSC ( which is the original club and a legitimate option (y) - most dogs from good breeders are dual registered) or with one of the other "clubs" or is not registered, they are not in this number, so certainly the number is much higher, but not like minature Schaunzers (#10) at 24,000 more or less or certainly Labs (#1)at 137,000. Of course it is also a lot more than Clumber Spaniels who are #122 with only 266 registrations in 2005.

If you are interested in comparing numbers, here is the link: http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm. I think there is also a listing by some major cities. New numbers for 2006 should be out in January at the AKC website.

I live just north of Boston in the USA. Other than at the breeder's home where I got Tucker, his brother that my friend has, I've only seen one other Cavalier in my life. I was so excited I ran up to the woman in a parking lot to meet her big beautiful blenheim.

I believe the most popular breed in the USA is a golden retriever. Interesting as I think cavalier personalities resemble that of a golden, friendly and non-aggressive. Other than when they jump on you for a kiss, they won't be knocking you down to get it!

Whenever I take Tucker out in public he causes a stir. Very rarely does anyone know what he is or has heard of the cavalier. He is routinely given a great deal of attention from most people he sees.

I just got back from the pet store (my first and probably last visit there as it made me itch as soon as I walked in), and the pet store clerk said "oh, a king charles spaniel" I of course corrected her and pointed out the physical differences between a cavalier and a king. I believe the cost of acquiring a cavalier from a reputable breeder would be between $1,500.00 and $2K.

Before I took SiânE on I never notices any Cavaliers around here. It seemed to be mostly Springer’s and Cockers.

After I took her on suddenly Cavaliers were like the buses. Every time I went over the park, more and more of them just kept coming along.

Tris are the most popular (99% of puppy’s over the park last year were Tri) 8)

Ruby’s second

A few of Blenheims

I have only seen two Black and Tan around here in three years and I think they were just visiting the area.

I'd never seen or heard of a cavalier until I started my research to find the perfect breed for our family. I don't watch much tv so never have seen the cav on Sex and the City. Since then I've only come across two other cavs in Arkansas: a blen and a tri. Friends have fallen in love with my cavs and have since gotten one. I've met, temporarily fostered and placed six puppy mill cavs from rescue into forever homes, but that's because Arkansas is one of the biggest puppy mill states, unfortunately.

Oh...forgot to mention prices. From my research I've found "pet-quality" cavaliers from registered club breeders to be anywhere from $1500-2500 USD. Show quality cavs start at around $2500. Females tend to cost a bit more, for some reason. I think the whole colors are also a bit higher since they're not as popular, and therefore not bred as much as the parti-colors.

Never actually saw a black and tans in person nor the ruby ones here in Vancouver.. more blenheims and then tri .. breeder told me that, she had a hard time selling her tri litter, but no problem on blenheim.. puppies ranges from Canadian $1500-4500 (breeding contract that i was told about) I know in Washington,US was for US$2000 .. and that's the average price :? Rarely see Cavaliers.. RAREly.. :(

I can't speak for anywhere else, but in Columbus, Ohio a Cavalier (unregistered or limited) can not be found for less than $1200 at a reputable breeder. I have been quoted $400-$800 but after checking out those "breeders" most I questioned on pedigree or just all together conditions of where they were being raised and such. They seemed to fall under the "puppymill" category.

Most reputable breeders I talked to said that registered go for anywhere from $1800-$2600. Our breeder sells her registered dogs (that come from a champion AKC line) for $2600. You can imagine our surprise when she offered one to us for free! (my fil is her vet ever since she began breeding CKCS)

I think it would be safe to say that Blenheim is the most popular color everywhere because that is what people most identify with the breed. It is actually all I have seen in the actual city of Columbus. The second most popular being the Tri (in the subburbs). Although I have seen just as many B&T's as I have Tri's lately. I would say that ruby's are the least popular color, but this may be that the breeders in the area just aren't getting that color regularly in thier litters. (one breeder I ran into says she has nothing but Blenheims and Tris in all her litters and she has been breeding for 3 years!---okay not very long time but ya' know)

I would say popularity is growing (because of SITC) but not quite as popular as the ever portable Chihuahua and Yorkie. I think these seem to be the two top favorite here in Columbus, closely followed by the Maltese, Shih Tzu and some of the "mixes" (anything mixed with a poodle is usually what I run into).

I usually get, "What a CUTE cocker! I thought you were supposed to dock their tails?" :?

Needless to say in SE Tennessee, a very select few people actually know about them. But once they do, they are in love! It's almost like a secret society! Whenever I meet another cav owner, its like we have known each other for years. :)

They are the most amazing dogs. :flwr:

I *thought* that cavaliers were rare where I live near Toronto Ontario (Canada) until we got Jack. I spoke with a few breeders before taking a shine to ours and her litter was only tris and blenheims.

Although I still almost never see them on the street, this past fall our breeder invited us to a "Cavalier picnic" and I couldn't believe the number of people who showed up! Mainly tris and blenheims but there were a few rubies as well as black and tans.

Back