• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier popularity where YOU live

I never saw a cavalier, before I had my first one. I do not know anyone personally that has one (other than breeders). Everyone always stops me and asks me what kind of dog it is and how beautiful it is and so friendly.

My dogs cost between $1250 - $2000 each.

That is why this webboard is so wonderful. We finally get to meet and talk to other cavalier owners.

I live in Sydney Australia and to be honest I haven't seen many cavs at all! :yikes Maybe I'm just not looking?

I remember when I was younger (4 or 5) my mum used to take me to the park everyday and we'd nearly always meet an old lady and her 2 dogs. They were cavs but at the time I only knew of them as sweet gentle dogs who loved to give kisses! :lol: Now looking back on those memories I know that their cavs. :D

But recently I haven't seen many around at all :? I saw a little blenheim at the park earlier this year but thats about it. I know that their are LOTS of breeders in my area though so I think I should just keep my eye out :)

WOW, well it seems my mum wasnt telling fibs afterall lol

Just on my regular walking route each day I meet up with over a dozen different cavs out walking with their owners, and none of them I knew before I started walking.

The prices in America are HUUUUUUUUUUUGE! WOW!!!!

I used to get several phone calls each walk from people in Hawaii saying they were puppy brokers and wanted to import my pups, they wanted entire litters. I was told its because they know how much money they can make selling to mainland America. Apparently, its quite often cheaper to import a top cav from australia, then it actually is to buy a pet quality cav in the states.

Needless to say I never sold any of my pups to them, and never will.

Thanks for your answers everyone, I was starting to think my mum must have lived in a cave or something, but well, seems not!

Kyla

Our Mums are often smarter than we give them credit for :) I know mine is.

Wow, just noticed I'm a "dog star" now *fluffs hair*

Around here Blenheims are definitely the most popular by some way. Second place goes to Tri's with Ruby's and B&T's joint last - I don't see that many of either around.

Here in Tampa, I NEVER see cavaliers unless they are people that I know. (My mother in law and her best friends have 7 combined and they are all from the same breeder.) Other than that no one around here even knows what they are!! They stumble on the name Cava -what?? or say "is that like a cocker spaniel?" :?

In the puppy stores (evil evil, bad bad!!! :x ) they run from $1395+ You pay that much money for a gauranteed puppy mill dog who is already terribly ill.
In the papers the lowest price you will find is $800 (back yard breeders evil evil bad bad!! :x )
Reputable breeders are $1200-$2300+

I always get so excited when I see another cavie and if I don't have my boys with me I pull out pictures!!

I had never seen a Cav in NW Iowa before I got Freckles. The vet was really surprised to see him-like "wow". That being said, a lady was visiting a few houses down and came running across the backyards saying "could that be a Cavalier?" There are breeders within a hundred miles. I don't know any real costs except a friend keeps telling me she sees ads running $1500-$2000. There are a variety of dogs here-on this one block are 2 min pins, a lab, a rat terrier, a coyote/husky mix and my 4.

Speaking of popularity... Have any of you noticed the rise of advertisements with Cavaliers (mostly blenheims, I saw on tricolor on a tv ad)? I just noticed it in the past year or so. Wondering if this is happening in other countries too. [I also saw Law and Order: SVU with a blenheim--Munch was holding it and kissing it] Just something I have noticed; wondering if that is a reason for the rise in Cavalier ownership or vice versa.

Kris and I were just talking about this last week. When we first go into breeding, it seemed like most people wanted blenheims based on the calls and e-mails we got. Over the last several years the tris have been gaining in popularity. I would say that right now it's close to a dead heat between bleheims and tris, with tris maybe a little ahead; next comes ruby's (my favorite color), then B & T's.

After a bit of discussion, we are beginning to think the popularity of the different colors has a lot to do with what people are used to seeing. They used to see mostly blenheims, but there are now a lot more tri's than there used to be, so the popularity of tri's goes up. Just a theory.

There still are very few Cavaliers in my immediate neighborhood, only 1 that I know of. I do see a lot more people that know what breed my dog is when I'm walking them though.

I do have to tell you about a really funny question I got several years ago when we were walking our tri boy between the parking ramp and the St. Paul show. A family stopped and asked us if our tri boy was a minature St. Bernard :lol: It was all I could do to keep from laughing, but they had never seen or heard of Cavaliers before, so they just didn't know. And with my warped sense of humer, it was all I could do to not play with them a bit!

Bruce the comment about the mini saint doesnt really surprise me.

When I walk the black and tans I have eyes popping out in every direction. Noone has any clue what kind of a dog they are! The usual goes something like

'Is that dog part Rottweiler'
'NO!"
'What about part doberman?'
'NO!'
'What about Daxon?'
'NOOOOOOOOOO!, It is a Black and Tan Cavalier King Charles Spaniel thankyou'
'Lady you obviously know nothing about the breed because they only come in Brown and White and sometimes black and white'

At that point, I just say yep, your probably right, iv been fooled. Silly me huh. What would I know, not as if iv been in the breed for 16 years'

Deary me LOL

kyla

Cavaliers are apparently fairly popular in some regions of Toronto. I haven't seen many though, and Coco hasn't met any. :( In the past year, I've probably seen 7 cavaliers in Toronto- all blenheims and tricolors.
Seeing a cavalier is a huge thing for me because it's so rare.

I get A LOT of attention when I take Coco out I think because people don't see cavaliers often. It's impossible to shop or go out because everyone wants to see Coco! I can't take 2 steps without someone approaching us to see her and ask what kind of pup she is. People usually think Coco is a cocker spaniel, some kind or spaniel, or a mixed breed. Even after I told one person that she is a CKCS, he thought that was a mixed breed. Or they know exactly what breed she is and they are very knowledgeable about CKCS.

Cavaliers arent very popular here either ( Louisiana ) and I dont think I ever saw any before I got Colby.

I have forund that Cavs from reputable breeders here in the states range from 2000.00-2500.00

Cavaliers have become pretty common in the Atlanta GA area. I think that this is due to the fact that there are quite a few very well known breeders within 100 miles of here.

My parents got one in 1996, I found my first 2 at the pound in 2001, the pound had no clue had them listed as "toy spaniel mixes". I had wanted a b&t for years and 2 blocks from my house walking down the road 1 day I passed a gal walking a b&t... stopped dead in the road jumped out and said I love your Cavalier...she was surprised I knew about them let alone owned 2. I saw 2 at the dog park a block from my house, but they are still pretty rare out here too. They have been going for 1300 to 2000 and up. (think that would be close to 2600 to 4000 pounds)

kyla_QLD_cavalier_rescue said:
Bruce the comment about the mini saint doesnt really surprise me.

When I walk the black and tans I have eyes popping out in every direction. Noone has any clue what kind of a dog they are! The usual goes something like

'Is that dog part Rottweiler'
'NO!"
'What about part doberman?'
'NO!'
'What about Daxon?'
'NOOOOOOOOOO!, It is a Black and Tan Cavalier King Charles Spaniel thankyou'
'Lady you obviously know nothing about the breed because they only come in Brown and White and sometimes black and white'

At that point, I just say yep, your probably right, iv been fooled. Silly me huh. What would I know, not as if iv been in the breed for 16 years'

Deary me LOL

kyla

OMG, that's amzing! Now THAT'S the kind of person I would have a ball playing with :lol: I'd make up a story they would remember for the rest of their life.

And, yes, isn't it amazing how a Cavalier will turn heads? Mine included. I too have stopped my car in the middle of the road to talk to a person walking a Cavalier. And several years ago, I told my wife that I wished I had known about Cavaliers before I was married; what a chick magnet :D (Iknow, I know, typical man!).

I haven't seen ANY around here. I used to always pop into puppy stores just to see different breeds and I think one time I saw a CKCS and that's what got the breed in my head. Or... when I was looking for what kind of dog to get, I went through the ABC's of dogs by breed and stopped when I came to the CKCS! :)

Anyway... look what's on the front cover of Parents Magazine this month....

p_COVOFFPA0107.jpg

I think every person in the US who owns a cavalier is on this site because no one else has heard of them!! :lol:

Hi All

Interesting topic, where I live, a small town called Gourock, 30 miles out of Glasgow Scotland, I had never known what a CKCS was until a girl who lives round the corner from me, bought one 13 years ago, his name was Bobby Black and was a tri and even then I still couldn't remember the breed! :lol:

Bobby sadly had passed away, then I went to my friends Aunts house to stay in Alloa and when we arrived they introduced us to their new 12 week old Cav pup Trudy also a tri, she is the sweetest little thing, an absolute doll and knows how to get her little paws round my friends two male cousins, they are big softies with her. She is now a year and 4 months old.

I have only ever seen one blenheim when I was young, no rubies or black and tans round our way. :(

Then our boy Rio came to us from a breeder in Kilbarchan, Johnstone.

After we took Rio on his first walk, we bumped into an old school friend Ive not seen in years and she has a 9 month old tri pup called Skye, now everyone around our street thinks that Rio is Skye and Skye is Rio!!

Its so annoying!!! :sl*p:

My dad also paid up to £400 for our tri pup and he is worth every penny. :D

I love that PARENTS magazine cover. I wonder if that cav belongs to anyone we know. Although, I'm sure we would have heard of it by now if it does.

Back