• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry Drowning...need prayers and hope

Thinking of you and Pixie. Saying a prayer for you. I am so sorry that this happened.

I am so, so very sorry. What a tragic accident. Thank you so much for alerting us to the dangers of water. I will now be very careful. I will be saying prayers for your little Pixie....Judy

I am so so sorry! Of course you want to turn back time but there is no way you could have anticipated something like this.:( You were amazing in this crisis situation and you and your daughter will at a later time feel so much better knowing that you did everything that could have been done. I am saying a prayer for you and your family during this difficult time. Hugs

This is just too horrible to even imagine. But, wow, you were so quick thinking and acting on getting her immeditely to the vet. I'm praying that 10% quickly becomes more for her. Please know that we are all out here sending you our prayers and good wishes. I had never heard of this before.

Your family and Pixie will be in our thoughts. I had just read about dry drowned the other day but never thought about the dog. The article was about young children and gave the warning signs of quick mood changes and be extremely tired and one other thing. It's so scary that it takes time for the affects to show that you know something is wrong. **hugs**

I, too was in tears reading your post and I'm adding my prayers to the others. I have never heard of dry drowning either, and I know you may have saved other dogs' lives with your post. I am really praying she beats the odds. She sounds like such a sweet dog who is extremely loved.

This is the saddest, most heartbreaking thing....I have a horrible pit in my stomach just thinking about it. I am so sorry you and your family are going through this, I can't even imagine....

I never would have thought a simple game of water fetch could lead to such tragic consequences... you mustn't blame yourself for any of this, and you were heroic in your response.... such clear thinking in a time of panic.

I'm praying for Pixie to pull through. Please continue to keep us posted. :( :(

How very shocking to hear what happened to your Pixie. I have never heard of dogs being in any danger from playing in shallow water like that. Thank you so much for sharing your story, and reaching out to all of us for support. We will keep you in our thoughts and pray for Pixie.

I am so sorry to hear about Pixie. :hug: I have recently heard of this happening with young children also. My dad recently sent me this link about dry drowning:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24982210/

It is so scarry to know that this can happen to children AND dogs. Lots of hugs and prayers coming from here. :xfngr:

Update on Pixie

We just got back from sitting with Pixie. There are very tiny neurological improvements, like moving her limbs some and trying to swallow, but there is no response when tapping the corner of her eye (which is, apparently the gold standard for checking conscious responce). She is still comatose. We will go back in 2 hours to be with her before they remove her from the 100% oxygen and put her on room air. We don't know if she can handle that, but she cannot stay on the solid oxygen longer than the 24 hours. This is a crucial point here. I will update everyone when we return. It is an hour and a half drive round trip, so it will be later today.

I want to thank each and every one of you for all your kindness and heartfelt sympathy. It is comforting to see how many people care. If you didn't notice the post I left this morning (my second one...this is the 3rd in the thread) I explained better what causes the cardiac arrest with dry drowning. This is Pixie's enemy now. The three cardiac arrests, and the oxygen deprivation associated with them, have caused an unknown level of brain trauma and we just don't know what is temporary and what she can recover from, if at all.
Thank you all again.

Pixie and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Hope she is able to pull through the ordeal. :flwr:

Thank you for the update on Pixie. I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling at the moment. I am so delighted to hear about the very small improvements. I hope and pray that Pixie continues to improve.

OMG I'm so sorry you have had to go through such a terrible ordeal, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and pixie, she looks a little darling.

Lots of us are thinking about you and Pixie.

People are aware that it can happen to people (a 10 year-old boy earlier this month) where it is usually associated with some kind of trauma at the time of ingestion (this boy had soiled himself in the pool), but didn't realise it could affect dogs.

All our love and prayers are going out to Pixie, I'm in tears just reading your post I pray she starts to improve and comes back to you

My boys and I are sending you lots of love and prayers. This is so sad and I was crying while reading your post. I can't imagine what you are going through but I hope that she returns to you soon.

Back