• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry Drowning...need prayers and hope

I am sending my best to you all. I am at a loss for words this is all so terrible. I will continue with best thoughts and prayers

My thoughts are with you and Pixie, I hope she makes a full recovery :flwr: That is a terrifying story, and you were so quick to jump into action immediately. I think I would have panicked and not known what to do right away. Thank you for the warning about dry drowning, like may people I had never heard of it and will be more careful with my two when they're at the beach. Keep us posted, you have a lot of people pulling for little Pixie! :luv:

my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family & Pixie. I hope she makes some improment and does okay once removed from the oxygen. :hug:

Thinking of you at this time its just so sad.I pray for you and Pixie shes a little gem.Be strong for her and your kiddies.I cant imagine how you feel,Im crying reading this,you are a strong woman,I really hope Pixie pulls through even if she's not back to her 100% self but just to have her back with you and your family. :lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

I have never heard of dry drowning until now and I am shocked after reading the article about that 10 YO boy and this poor Cavalier.

I have a toddler, and we live in Florida, so we are in the pool and at the beach all the time. Several times Owen has swallowed water while swimming. I had no idea this could potentially happen! I'm so glad i know now to be more cautious.

I hope your Cavalier pulls through. I can't imagine what you're going through.

I just saw this tragic thread...I'm so sorry about your sweet girl - I sincerely hope she pulls through.

It certainly is a big wake-up call for those of us with water-loving Cavaliers. Maggie loves to chase the surf on the beach and occasionally I have dropped toys in the water so she can chase and retrieve them as the water comes into shore. I will be much more careful now. But what a harsh lesson learned...:(

Hugs to you...

:( Im so ,so sad to hear this.Sending you ,your family and Pixie my warmest thoughts. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

This is horrific, and I'm praying for you all and hoping Pixie continues to show some improvement. Thank you also for the flag - my parents now live at the beach and Amber in particular is just the kind to enjoy messing in the water.

Update

We returned from a visit with Pixie this afternoon. They are actually removing the oxygen from her ventilator air slowly, 10% at a time until they hold steady at 60%. The vet said that every hour that she remains in a coma worsens her chances. She has so many hurdles. First, we must see if she can handle the reduced oxygen b/c the pure oxygen will damage her brain. If she can, then we need to see some consciousness soon. They really hoped she'd come to by now. I asked the vet what she'd do if it were her dog. She said she'd keep trying for now b/c she has been moving some, more jerking reflexes or flexing reflexes. They want to see her blink. She has a fixed stare and pinpoint pupils. She looks awful.

Pixie needs to come to, because the ventilator is likely to cause pneumonia if continued, plus, she can't be tube-fed in a coma or she'll vomit and choke on it, so all she gets is IV glucose. That won't do her but for another day or two. Pray for a miracle.

The kids are a mess of tears. My son has sobbed at every reminder of her...Her toys, her bed, her dishes. The empty kitchen when we walk in the door...It is hard. I cry by myself when I can, but can't always be dry-eyed in front of the kids. I think it is good for them to see me cry some, though.
Thanks for the well-wishes. I am hoping for a miracle overnight. You are all wonderful here.

I'm praying for a miracle for Pixie. My heart goes out to you and your family. God bless precious Pixie.

My heart and prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry you are all going through this.....Bless you.

Here is one more prayer for a miracle. She is so blessed to have such a loving, concerned and wonderful family who is willing to do EVERYTHING to help her! Best best best wishes from California :eek:

omg Suzie I have never heard how your precious Pixie died. I of course knew you lost her at a very young age. I can't imagine this. It happened on my birthday no less. I am soooooooo so sorry. I never knew this dry drowning existed etc. Thank you for posting again the link for your story. We have a pool but our dogs don't have any desire to go in it thank goodness. It would be horrible now if they did after reading this. Again Suzie I am so sorry.

Reread it again and see it is "delayed drowning" and not dry drowning.

Linda

Last edited:
Thanks Linda. It was the wonderful support of the members here that carried me through those first weeks. It was hard and still is hard. The kids and I loved her and we still miss her so much that I guess the pain will be with us always. When she died, the loss was more painful than 4 years ago when my husband of 13 years and father of my kids left suddenly for another woman. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and feel sorrow that she isn't here. She would be only 21 months old if she were still alive. I can hardly believe she's been gone for 10 months. I look at Bandit and Lizzie and desperately hope that it is a VERY VERY LONG time before I tell either of them goodbye.

our thoughts are with you it just shows how carefull we all need to be with the littlesets things where u would`nt think anything could go wrong with

Back