• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how did you name your Cav ?

I let my granddaughter name our Laci. The Scott Peterson trail was going on at the time and I was really concerned that maybe I had had it on to often when my granddaughter chose "Laci". It didn't occur to me until several months later that she had not picked Laci because of the Peterson trial invading our livingroom almost daily, but she had chosen "Laci" after a teenage babysitter that I sometimes used! I was so relieved!

Nean

I love these stories and learning why your pups have their names! :D Im a big name fiend as well so I love hearning new names to add to my lists!

Indy is from Indiana Jones. In the third film there is a scene where it comes out that Indiana (whose real name is Henry Jones Jr. I think...bit tired and spaced out today) actually called himself Indiana after his beloved dog.

it stuck in my mind as a great name for a dog and when indy came along i got to use it. i did have to fight for it though because my DH wanted to call him Leonard after Leonard Cohen... leonard is cute and all but indy is just so much more of an indiana jones than a leonard cohen.

the only problem is that no one ever connects it with indiana jones and always think he is a girl called indy.....oh well!

whenever we get another (hopefully sooner rather than later) i want a ruby girl and i'll call her scarlett after one of my all-time favourite heroines....

k

max got his name from my favorite beatles song, maxwell's silver hammer...

my fiance's little 4 year old niece wants a puppy and she is set on naming it starburst... i think little kids come up with some of the best names.

jill said:
max got his name from my favorite beatles song, maxwell's silver hammer...

my fiance's little 4 year old niece wants a puppy and she is set on naming it starburst... i think little kids come up with some of the best names.

when my littlest sister was born, my younger sister (the middle child) wanted to name her Webigail (from DuckTales). We still tease both of them to this day...

yes they do-----and some of the silliest!

when my brother was 4 we had a turtle live with us for a couple of months...he named her lulu.

k

Hi All

Talking of weird names my friends dog that they rescued a few years ago from a block of flats is called "Weegil" mostly because she was a tiny little thing covered in fleas and obviously not cared for. :( Vet thought she was about a year old. She stayed with the police overnight and nobody claimed her, my friend said she is the best dog they've ever had. Her name just means "Wee girl" We are scots so we pronounce "Wee" as in tiny or small. It really suits her. Now she is blind and diabetic, but still a lovely little dog. :)

She also has fish called Mario and Luigi (Super Mario Brothers) Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo and Raphael. (The Turtles) :lol: She named them all too when she was young ! My friend also has five birds, three are cockateils and two are budgies. Cockateils are Millie, Mixie, Scotty, and budgies are Timothy and Cheeky, her other Cockateil died last Christmas, he was a wonderful very tame bird, and called Jancen.

My friends aunts five dogs are also called Taz(golden retriever), Jenna(border collie), Tiegan (boxer pup), Megan (black lab cross) and Rory (golden labrador) and her other relative has a tri-colour cavvy called Trudy, we nicknamed her "The Trudester" as she is so mischevious.

She also used to have Breha (pronounced Breea) which was Jenna's Mum.

Her hamsters were also called Smokey, Ginger and Thingmajig as she couldnt think up good names for them. :lol:

I also had a goldfish called Abraham, loved the wee thing bless his fins! Devastated when he passed away ! :( :( My sisters called theirs Cuddles and Marina. :roll:

We also had two white budgie brothers called Felix and Oscar and my adopted cat called Monsieur Black Jack ( I was five when I named him) :roll: :sl*p:

My great aunt also has very nice names for her cats - Bugsy, who recently passed away at Christmas, poor thing was knocked over by a car and left to die. :( She also had a ginger tom called Hamish and two tabbies called Tara and Tammy, two sisters. Now she only has Josie and lost her beloved Tamzin earlier last year, she also has a dog called Shona.

Hope you enjoyed the post, with all the weird and wonderful names.

Melissa :flwr:

Both our dogs were a struggle, because we had names picked out, but both times wound up with the opposite sex we had planned on!

Our first was supposed to be a boy and we were going to name him Bowser (we had a Super Mario theme going on with pet names at the time, with a lizard named Yoshi), but wound up with the boy's twin sister, and the breeder was from Indiana, so we named her Indy!

When we got Charlie we went to the breeder thinking we would pick out a girl and name her Kali, but then we fell in love with a little boy instead, and we're both into Japanese Anime and wanted to give him a Japanese name, but he didn't seem sophistocated enough for one, so we named him Charlie (after King CHARLES Spaniel, of course), and it suits him perfectly. :D

Cooper was named after Agent Cooper on the Twin Peaks tv series.(named by my daughter)

Princess Puddles was named Princess becaused she acts like one and Puddles because she was hard to housebreak and always making a puddle in the floor.

Lucky got his name because we felt so lucky to get him. He almost went to another family. We actually call him Luckypup most of the time.

Willow was named for the little person in the movie Willow. (named by my daughter)

Grace was also named by my daughter but she never gave me a reason so Grace is just Grace.

I had no idea what to call my puppy. I wanted something that wasn't a common person's name nor a name that wasn't a name, if you see what I mean. I had been looking at mythilogical names & so on. In the end, I couldn't find one I liked so looked on a baby name website & got as far as Aoife in the A section. :eek: I love the name Eve/Evie/Eva anyway but not to "waste" on a puppy.

When we got Jake, our Black Lab he was around 6 months old, and we got him from a local rescue home, so we liked the name and by that age we didn't think it would've been fair to change it :D

Lucy was different, we've had her since 8 weeks old, and we'd racked our brains for ages for a name, and had a massive list to pick from.....and it was Kieran that picked out Lucy....which we loved, and it suited her from day 1 (y) Plus it's an easy nam for Kieran to say :D

And Megan allready had her name when she came home, and it's a name we both love :luv:

We got Abbey when she was two. Her breeder named her Amy; sold her when she was a year old--her new owners changed her name to Abbey. We kept it, she looks like an Abbey and we just couldn't change her name for a third time.

We had a few names for Gus, but none of them fit once we got him. He was nameless for the first day we had him! :eek: Then we realized he looked like a scruffy old man and somehow came up with the name Gus and thought it was fitting. :p

Our cats are Niko and Jackson, both names we just liked; no special meaning behind them.

Now what do we really call them?
Abbey is Little Mama, Gus is Gusser, Niko is Boobie and Jack is Doodle :p

Last edited:
Grace was also named by my daughter but she never gave me a reason so Grace is just Grace.

My parents have a Gordon Setter named Gracie (Lady Grace on her papers). We named her that because when they got her, she was a huge klutz! Well my grandpa used to say "careful grace!" whenever I tripped as a kid, and we were saying it to the dog all the time until one day it just clicked! Name her Gracie! :)

Alfie name came from me,i didnt hear it ,we were driving to choose a pupy and i said to hubby ,we are going to call him Alfie.And that was it.boring i suppose.

When we decided to get our first cavalier puppy a few months ago, I started thinking and thinking of names for her. I had lists going, but nothing ever stood out or seemed exactly right. One day I happened to be watching TV and they were talking about Dixie Carter, the actress, and the name Dixie just seemed to be the name that was right for her. I especially liked it because we are from Texas and it seemed like a good 'ol southern name. Now that we have her, it fits her perfectly she truly is a little southern belle.

Riley our lab got her name, because both times I was pregnant, my hubby used to never agree on names. Thank goodness we never had a boy, because we could never agree on boy names! I really like the name Riley. Finally, one night I yelled at Bob. Ok, that's it. When we get the lab, if it's a girl I am naming her Riley! So we did.

Libby was so much harder. The litter was due on July 4th. So we started thinking it should be a name that stood for that holiday. I really liked the name Spirit. For three reasons, the holiday, the cavalier spirit because we wanted to do therapy work. Since we also travel, I liked traveling free Spirit. Once we picked her up, my girls kept saying she doesn't look like a Spirit. So for a whole week, she didn't have a formal name. My husband kept calling her Biscuit and still does. The kids started called her Libby, dibby doo. So we extended it to be Lady Liberty Belle. Belle, because I absolutely love Beauty and the Beast. Plus, since we trained her to ring the bell to go out, there are days I want to wrap that bell around her neck!

I am still thinking the next cavalier will be named Spirit! lol

Harry is named after Harry Potter, he was called Bentley by his breeder but that seemed too "posh" for us lol, when we told his breeder what we'd decided to call him they started his nickname "the wizard"
He suits his name and he also has out of control black hair just like harry potter!

We were trying to keep the Harry Potter theme, and we quite like the name James for a boy, and melissa is desperate for a girl cav to name her Ginny!!!
but i also love the name Morgan

When I first started thinking about getting a cavalier, I started making a list of names. But we ended up getting a mini schnauzer first, so I let my husband choose a name from my list. Trace was a dj on the radio, her real name is Tracy, but they were always calling her Trace. So that is the name my hubby choose. But since our mini is a male, his full name is Tracer.
Our two cats don't have very original names, Goldie & Blackie. Since cats don't usually come when you call them, we didn't really think about naming them good names!;)
I still have my list for when we do get a cavalier! After reading this post, I love the name Breeze! I might have to add it to the list!:dogwlk:

What a great thread!!

Well, Chesney got his name from his daddy "Kenny" and our favourite "Kenny Chesney."
Him being a Blen, the chesnut color combo it fits even more.

His full name is Kalidunn Kenny's Chesney.

260895825_333be1cf23_o.jpg

Dad Kenny:
Kennyadult.jpg

Kalidunn Kenny's Chesney:
Chesney060707-2.jpg

Back