• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

NATURAL BALANCE ....... Urgent!!

Well, I'd rather take my vets' advice, thanks. :)

Dr. John Reeve-Newson is a very respected and well known veterinarian, breeder and judge, worldwide.

He's always been an advocate of feeding human grade foods to animals, as he does with his award winning Borzois and other dogs.

As Karlin posted elsewhere, dogs were around long before the pet food industry.

As there is NO regulation of the pet food industry in Canada and less in China, who knows what's in dog food?

His office said that ALL pets should be getting human grade food, not that everyone should be cooking.

That is my choice for my dog. I'd rather not take a chance with dog food at this time. :)

a lot of premium brands claim to use human grade ingredients--but i wonder if that info is credible.

The current issue of Whole Dog Journal has an article on the Recall. i haven't read it yet. I hope they have something informed to say about the premium brands and human grade claims.

I think this might be the website: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

The pet food industry is a multi-billion $ business that does not always deliver good nutrition any way. We all need to explore our options in conjunction with our vets and do what our life styles allow to make the best decisions possible for our pets.

Well, I'd rather take my vets' advice, thanks. :)
And so you should... which is why I said in brackets (I am generalizing not talking about you) and ended it with "I am simple saying dont panic, think it through, consult your vet and do your best". :confused: Which you have - OTHERS may not have?

I have posted this a few times and but I just LOVE blue buffalo. All human grade and a company that makes pet food...period....not a large company. Duncan is a new dog on the food and we are just switching Arthur. Also, it is available at PetSmart which it about the only place for dog food beside the grocery in my town. Also, It was on the Whole Dog Journal's list of reccommended food last fall.

http://www.bluebuff.com/

Just fyi.....

Thanks Zippy for bringing this to our attention. Like you, I'll be feeding Tucker human food until I feel comfortable that the ingredients that go into dog foods are what they say they are, and nothing else. Though it's less convenient for me, I'm out of kibble right now and will not be ordering more until I feel enough time has passed to feel safe again.

Oh my gosh... I just switched Coco to Natural Balance from Innova. I can't believe this. I thought this was a good food. I did so much research. She is on their Ultra-Premium dry food.

This just in from the Natural Balance Website

Natural Balance Pet Foods,® Inc. Issues A Voluntary Nationwide Recall on Specific Venison Dog & Cat Food Products

Consumer Inquiries:
(800) 829-4493
Media Inquiries:
Daniel Bernstein
310-275-0777

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Pacoima, CA -- April 17, 2007-- Natural Balance, Pacoima, CA, is issuing a voluntary nationwide recall for all of its Venison dog products and the dry Venison cat food only, regardless of date codes. The recalled products include Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown Rice dog treats, and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food. Recent laboratory results show that the products contain melamine. We believe the source of the melamine is a rice protein concentrate. Natural Balance has confirmed this morning that some production batches of these products may contain melamine.

The recall was prompted by consumer complaints received by Natural Balance involving a small number of cats and dogs that developed kidney failure after eating the affected product.
Dogs or cats who have consumed the suspect food and show signs of kidney failure (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting) should be seen by a veterinarian. We recommend our customers immediately stop feeding our recalled venison products regardless of date code and return unused product to their retailer for a full refund.
The products are packaged in bags, cans and zip lock treat bags and sold in pet specialty stores and PetCo nationally.
No other Natural Balance products are involved in this voluntary recall as none of our other formulas include the rice protein concentrate.

Although the problems seem to be focused on a particular production period of the venison products, over the last four days we have notified our distributors and retailers by phone and e-mail to immediately stop selling and return all recalled Venison dog foods and treats and the Venison dry cat food. Venison canned cat food is not involved.
The source of the melamine appears to be a rice protein concentrate, which was recently added to the dry venison formulas. Natural Balance does not use wheat gluten, which was associated with the previous melamine contamination.

None of Natural Balance’s other dry formulas, none of our other canned or roll products and none of our other treats are involved with this voluntary recall.
We continue to work closely with the FDA in their ongoing investigation.
Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-829-449 or email [email protected].

Thanks for Posting that Monica!

We have RAzz's vet appt at 11:00 tomorrow since he's been on this food for the last 3 months. Hopefully all goes well - he's wrestling like crazy with Lucky tonight so no lack of energy - but he did throw up Saturday morning ... hopefully that's just a coincidence:xfngr:

We're cooking for both of them now until we can trust their food is safe. :confused:

I'm so upset!! I really thought I was giving Ruby a nutritious food when I picked this. I don't know what to do now. And of course to make matters worse, she's been sick all day today with diarrhea, so now I'm really freaking out. Has anyone seen anything stating that this could be a symptom?? I mean, she pooed all over her crate this afternoon while we were at work and has been kind of moping around all night. She hasn't had an accident in the house in weeks, so I know she must have felt horrible. I haven't noticed an increase in her urine output, but I also don't really check it out every time she goes. I don't feel comfortable taking on the responsibility of home-cooking all of her meals, but I just don't know what to do about her food. I mean, if the Venison and Brown Rice is the only dry dog food affected, should I even attempt to give her another type of NB?? I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to see what to do, but right now I'm just a nervous wreck. The thought of anything happening to her completely breaks my heart. Any advice???

Lani and Jess, I hope that tomorrow's vet appointment go well for Razz and Ruby! They'll be in our thoughts. Let us know...

So, now it's wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate both containing melamine? I wonder what the missing link is...were they both produced by the same chinese company? How does melamine turn up in food by "accident" anyway?

This is becoming more and more frightening, not as if it wasn't enough so to begin with! Gracie is on Wellness...I talked to the vet tech about it on Tuesday and he said it was a "brand you could trust..." Many people thought that about NB until Tuesday, too. I don't feel like any of them are overly trustworthy at this point, but like Jess, I don't feel able to do an only homecooked diet either! Being aware is better than being oblivous, but right now there's so little information available that it's very difficult for us to make informed decisions...so frustrating!:mad:

Good luck at the vets, Lani and Jess.

I do hope that Razz and Ruby are going to be okay.

Last edited:
Lani and Jess, I hope that tomorrow's vet appointment go well for Razz and Ruby! They'll be in our thoughts. Let us know...

So, now it's wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate both containing melamine? I wonder what the missing link is...were they both produced by the same chinese company? How does melamine turn up in food by "accident" anyway?

This is becoming more and more frightening, not as if it wasn't enough so to begin with! Gracie is on Wellness...I talked to the vet tech about it on Tuesday and he said it was a "brand you could trust..." Many people thought that about NB until Tuesday, too. I don't feel like any of them are overly trustworthy at this point, but like Jess, I don't feel able to do an only homecooked diet either! Being aware is better than being oblivous, but right now there's so little information available that it's very difficult for us to make informed decisions...so frustrating!:mad:

The tainted rice protein concentrate came from a company in San Francisco and they got it from a supplier in China.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalled_N.htm?csp=34

They said they sold it to 5 pet food companes, with 2 getting the most. They listed Diamond pet Foods but none of the others. Honestly, I would call your companies to ask where they get their rice protein form.

Thanks for the great info Tonic! I have e-mailed Wellness to find out about the Rice Protein, but also to determine if they source ANY ingredients from China and if so, which ones. Odds seem high that most companies source some ingredients from China, but I'd feel better knowing which/what percentage.

Thanks for the great info Tonic! I have e-mailed Wellness to find out about the Rice Protein, but also to determine if they source ANY ingredients from China and if so, which ones. Odds seem high that most companies source some ingredients from China, but I'd feel better knowing which/what percentage.
Canidae states on their website that all their products are sourced U.S. ingredients and manufacturered at their own plants.

Canidae states on their website that all their products are sourced U.S. ingredients and manufacturered at their own plants.

So I am confused about this. If a company purchases wheat or rice gluten from another US company, can they state its a US ingrediant even if that US company used stuff from China? I would think not but it sounds plausible.

So I am confused about this. If a company purchases wheat or rice gluten from another US company, can they state its a US ingrediant even if that US company used stuff from China? I would think not but it sounds plausible.
hmm good point... one would assume if they say U.S. ingredient they mean grown and processed. But you have a valid point just how U.S. is a U.S. ingredient. This is going to drive us all nuts I think! I wish it would just END.

What is scary is that this China company exports everything from Folic Acid to Taurine to Wheat gluten to hundreds of different vitamins. I would call your food company and make SURE that they do not use ANY ingredients from this company and that when they say US ingredients that they MEAN IT.

Back