• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

NATURAL BALANCE ....... Urgent!!

What is scary is that this China company exports everything from Folic Acid to Taurine to Wheat gluten to hundreds of different vitamins. I would call your food company and make SURE that they do not use ANY ingredients from this company and that when they say US ingredients that they MEAN IT.
That is why I love the internet and email - I like things in writing where they have to state it in black/white. I'm awaiting my reply from Wellness and Canidae... but I wont hold my breath!

That is why I love the internet and email - I like things in writing where they have to state it in black/white. I'm awaiting my reply from Wellness and Canidae... but I wont hold my breath!

I tried as well, but I am sure that we are going to get some generic blanket response:rolleyes:

The automatated response at Wellness says that they will reply within 1 business day...I'm with you, though. I expect it to be a canned response. I reread their website today. It says that they do not use wheat gluten in any products AND do not source any ingredients from the chinese supplier in question. It does not address the rice protein, though.

The automatated response at Wellness says that they will reply within 1 business day...I'm with you, though. I expect it to be a canned response. I reread their website today. It says that they do not use wheat gluten in any products AND do not source any ingredients from the chinese supplier in question. It does not address the rice protein, though.
There one business day limit it about to run out with me! This is what they say:
"Our ingredients are primarily sourced in the United States and Canada. We source some unique ingredients internationally—for example lamb and venison from New Zealand. However, we do not source anything from the supplier in China at the center of the recent pet food recalls." So they dont use the rice or gluten supplier but it doesnt mean they dont use any China suppliers. Will see - right now Kodee's snacks have switched to yogurt drops and she loves them plus as always simple frozen green beans are an all time favourite of hers. Giving her cookies was nice but it is not necessary. I am more concerned with getting a confirmation from Canidae with kibble.

I was wondering what can WE do to make sure that pet food (and people food for that matter ...) manufacturers become REQUIRED to post the country of origin for their food ingredients?

I think this should be required so we can make informed choices on the foods we buy. I was thinking of writing my Senator, Representative and the FDA for starters ...
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

-Margaret Mead

The rice gluten in natural balance foods that is in question was from a US supplier. They have stated this in a press release on their site.

Karlin...I believe it was a US supplier who received the product from China, per Tonic's post further up.

Here is the somewhat helpful response from Wellness. I specifically asked about rice protein. They answered a venison question I didn't ask. A call may be in order.

Dear Lindsay,

We are aware that Natural Balance has initiated a recall. No products made by Wellness & Old Mother Hubbard are affected in any way.

None of our Venison products dry or wet are affected in any way. You can continue to use our products.

In order to better assist you with this issue, we would like to speak with you directly. Kindly call us at (800) 225-0904, ask for me and provide the reference number listed below. Or if you'd like to provide us your phone number we can call you.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Heather Rowe
Representative
Consumer Affairs

Last edited:
Well they met their time frame! Here is the response:
Dear Debbie,

We are aware that Natural Balance has initiated a recall. No products made by Wellness & Old Mother Hubbard are affected in any way.

In order to better assist you with this issue, we would like to speak with you directly. Kindly call us at (800) 225-0904, and provide the reference number listed below. Or if you'd like to provide us your phone number we can call you.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Heather Rowe
Representative
Consumer Affairs

I responded with they failed to answer my question and I would like it in writing not on the phone. I said, I want confirmation by email that none of their ingredients are sourced from China.

Well see....

Edit: got a response but now i have been upped to a guaranteed 3 day response my notification said - guess I am making it harder to form that response....

Last edited:
If a pet food company is not willing to state facts in writing when a direct question is asked, something is fishy. We have gone back to all cooked meals for our crew. They're very happy.

FWIW I received this email from Canidae this afternoon:

To all our valued customers, retailers and friends,

Unfortunately, we are being inundated by recall questions, and we may not be able to return all e-mails in a timely manner. To reiterate, CANIDAE in no way is affiliated, nor has any common characteristics with the current pet food re-call, as we do not use wheat gluten or rice gluten in any fashion, and we are not produced in any of the recalled facilities. All ingredients are proudly raised and grown in the USA.

We thank you for your business and placing your pets' trust with us.

Sincerely,

Canidae Pet Foods

I really hope Cupcake, Razz, and Ruby are all okay. This is just ridiculous. I am so upset. This is supposed to be a great dog food.

Coco isn't eating the Venison formula, but I don't trust Natural Balance anymore so I am changing Coco back to Innova and looking into other alternatives.

Thanks for all the information.

FWIW I received this email from Canidae this afternoon:

To all our valued customers, retailers and friends,

Unfortunately, we are being inundated by recall questions, and we may not be able to return all e-mails in a timely manner. To reiterate, CANIDAE in no way is affiliated, nor has any common characteristics with the current pet food re-call, as we do not use wheat gluten or rice gluten in any fashion, and we are not produced in any of the recalled facilities. All ingredients are proudly raised and grown in the USA.

We thank you for your business and placing your pets' trust with us.

Sincerely,

Canidae Pet Foods
Yup I just got that email too (they responded very fast too.) It more than satisfies me with the current recalls as a good choice. The Wellness Cookies are "on hold" here till they confirm no China products regardless of which supplier. But she will deal with it cause she likes the yogurt drops and her frozen green beans.

Razz had his vet visit this morning - the vet was happy with his overall physical, and since the food he ate was before the 3/28 batch that was (supposedly ...) the only batch contaminated, he should be okay, but we had the bloodwork done anyway just to put our minds at ease.

We've been cooking for them, but are not sure that is a long term solution. So know we are researching what's safe and looking into possibly Canidae, Evo or Karma.

Does anyone know anything about Karma? My sister sent me this press release about Karma from their President:

Rice Protein Used in Karma is 100% Safe - April 18, 2007
This is to confirm that the organic rice protein concentrate used in our Karma 95% organic formulation IS NOT PURCHASED FROM WILBUR-ELLIS, and Natura Pet Products is not one of the five pet food makers cited in the USA Today article. Natura guarantees that the organic rice protein concentrate used in Karma is not sourced from China and that it is 100% safe and absolutely free from melamine contamination.

Peter Atkins
President

One more update - Lynn (my sister & Razz's mom) just got off the phone with Natura, makers of Karma, Evo, Innova, and California Natural and was assured that ALL the ingredients in ALL their products come from the U.S.

One more update - Lynn (my sister & Razz's mom) just got off the phone with Natura, makers of Karma, Evo, Innova, and California Natural and was assured that ALL the ingredients in ALL their products come from the U.S.
Kodee was on Innova puppy and since I told my brother to use California Natural for his dogs skin problems, I am happy about that. Canidae, Natura have no problem answering the question direct - I am disappointed Wellness needs to "think" their answer over to me for 3 days...

I haven't given up on Wellness quite yet, although I would like a more direct answer from them. They have the following information on their website:

Our ingredients are primarily sourced in the United States and Canada. We source some unique ingredients internationally—for example lamb and venison from New Zealand. However, we do not source anything from the supplier in China at the center of the recent pet food recalls.

Letter from Wellness Executives

I am also waiting for a reply to my second, more direct e-mail and a phone call.

I called the vet this morning to ask what to do, and they recommended that we bring her in. My husband took her, and they drew some blood work, which thank God turned out fine! The vet said her kidney function was great and that she probably just had a tummy ache. We are giving her some anti-diarrheal med that the vet gave us, and so far she hasn't had any bouts of diarrhea. She is much more playful, but a little moodier than usual. Now we just have to decide which food to put her on now. Thanks to you all for your thoughts and prayers!! This was one scared mommy!!!

Jessica...that is GREAT news! So happy that Ruby is doing well again! Let us know what you decide on food, too...so confusing/frustrating these days! :rolleyes: :mad:

Back