• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can the cavalier breed be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAN THE CAVALIER BREED BE SAVES?

ANNIEMAC,

I just don't know about how the Cavalier Public was made aware about SM in America, but here in Britain it was due to KARLIN,CAROL , and MARGARET who was Brave enough to appears on the PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED TV PROGRAM , not to many Cavalier Breeders .

After the showing of the PDE TV FILM ,all hell was let loose, the Folk I have mentioned are still being Sneered at and being Belittled by a few Poisonous ,Narrow -Minded ,Vicious Cavalier Breeders, as Jemima Harrison has mentioned in her Blog, how did such a Lovely Breed as Cavaliers ever get into their Hands.

It does not matter what is said about the SM and MVD Problems in our Cavalier Breed they will Twist and Turn and give all the Excuses they can think of ,that they are doing what- ever for Cavaliers.

WHAT ARE THEY DOING FOR THE CAVALIER BREED?????

I am NOT talking about the Cavalier Breeders who are doing their Best, why won't the UK CKCS CLUB Publish a List of Cavalier Breeders who are Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding ,who are following the Breeding Guidelines as set by the CKCS CLUB and the RESEARCHERS, not to Breed from a Cavalier before 2.5 years of age and have no Heart or SM Problem and to know the Health Status of the Parents at 5.

I was disappointed to read in the Cavalier Notes this week in DOG WORLD, that the Writer Will Not Be Told By Any-One at what age her Cavaliers should be being used for Breeding.

I challenged her Statement ,some-body in Cavaliers ,probably a Cavalier Breeder had complained to DW about what I had said, and my remark was Removed.!

Should we who have been and are so Heart- Broken at what our Beloved Cavaliers have and are Suffering because SM and MVD, start a Campaign to make the CKCS CLUB have a List of Cavalier Breeders who are Members of the CKCS CLUB ,who are Health Testing and following the Breeding Guidelines for their Cavaliers.

With Crufts coming up shortly ,surely that would be a good place for the Cavalier Club to give Publicity to this ,that they will give a List of Cavalier Club Breeders who are Health Testing and following the Breeding Guidelines of their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

Maybe any-one going to Crufts can ask about this ,and if the Answer is ,it cannot be done.

ASK THE QUESTION .WHY NOT.

Bet

CAN THE CAVALIER BREED BE SAVED?

Let's have a think about this with the Information we have been given from the Researchers into the SM and MVD Problems in our Cavaliers.

It has been stated that around 90% of Cavaliers have CM.

This is Characterized by the Brains being too Big and the Skulls too Small.

I don't know the answer to this ,but is it possible that this maybe could be involved with Syrinxes Forming because the CSF is not getting around the Brain properly.

We know that 85 Whelps being Researched for the Foetal Tissue Research ,all had CM.

The 26 Older Cavaliers MRI Scanned through Rupert's Fund 24 had CM ,2 had Mild CM.

Now onto MVD ,it has been also stated by the MVD Researchers that 50% of Cavaliers have a Heart Murmur at 5-6 Years of Age, although this is Disputed by some Cavalier Breeders ,but they don't seem to have the Evidence to give their Proof as to what Figures they are quoting, perhaps some-body going to Crufts can ask this Question at the CKCS Health Stall.

Now we come to the $64,000 Question ,if some Vociferious Cavalier Breeders are not Believing how serious the SM and MVD Problem is in our Cavalier Breed ,and others which has been Shown in the Breed Record Supplements for Cavaliers issued by the Kennel Club ,are not following the Breeding Guidelines for Cavaliers which have been issued by Both the Researchers and the UK CKCS CLUB, that Cavaliers should not be Bred from before 2.5 years of Age ,are Healthy, and the Health Status of their Parents is known at 5.

SO,around 90% have CM, what is even more Frightening is the finding that all those 85 Whelps had CM, are there now many Carriers of the CM leading onto SM Genes in our Cavalier Breed.

It has been said by the MVD Research Cardiologists that there are now Many MVD Carriers around with the MVD Genes.

THEN HOW CAN THE CAVALIER BREED BE SAVED?

The Researchers have said over and over again, the only Hope of Salvaging the Cavalier Breed ,is to try and delay the Early ON-SET of MVD and SM by following the Breeding Guidelines.

I hope that some of these Facts will be being put to CKCS HEALTH STALL AT CRUFTS .

Bet

Let's have a think about this with the Information we have been given from the Researchers into the SM and MVD Problems in our Cavaliers.

It has been stated that around 90% of Cavaliers have CM.

This is Characterized by the Brains being too Big and the Skulls too Small.

I don't know the answer to this ,but is it possible that this maybe could be involved with Syrinxes Forming because the CSF is not getting around the Brain properly.

We know that 85 Whelps being Researched for the Foetal Tissue Research ,all had CM.

The 26 Older Cavaliers MRI Scanned through Rupert's Fund 24 had CM ,2 had Mild CM.

Now onto MVD ,it has been also stated by the MVD Researchers that 50% of Cavaliers have a Heart Murmur at 5-6 Years of Age, although this is Disputed by some Cavalier Breeders ,but they don't seem to have the Evidence to give their Proof as to what Figures they are quoting, perhaps some-body going to Crufts can ask this Question at the CKCS Health Stall.

Now we come to the $64,000 Question ,if some Vociferious Cavalier Breeders are not Believing how serious the SM and MVD Problem is in our Cavalier Breed ,and others which has been Shown in the Breed Record Supplements for Cavaliers issued by the Kennel Club ,are not following the Breeding Guidelines for Cavaliers which have been issued by Both the Researchers and the UK CKCS CLUB, that Cavaliers should not be Bred from before 2.5 years of Age ,are Healthy, and the Health Status of their Parents is known at 5.

SO,around 90% have CM, what is even more Frightening is the finding that all those 85 Whelps had CM, are there now many Carriers of the CM leading onto SM Genes in our Cavalier Breed.

It has been said by the MVD Research Cardiologists that there are now Many MVD Carriers around with the MVD Genes.

THEN HOW CAN THE CAVALIER BREED BE SAVED?

The Researchers have said over and over again, the only Hope of Salvaging the Cavalier Breed ,is to try and delay the Early ON-SET of MVD and SM by following the Breeding Guidelines.

I hope that some of these Facts will be being put to CKCS HEALTH STALL AT CRUFTS .

Bet

CAN THE CAVALIER BE SAVED?

Just received my April Edition of Dogs Today magazine, and was pleased to see on the Letter page, under the Heading along -side a Photo of a Cavalier, BUYER BEWARE.

I mentioned about the Two Serious Health Problems Afflicting our Cavaliers, SM and MVD ,and the Breeding Recommendations given from the Researchers to Cavalier Breeders ,which are not to Breed from a Cavalier before 2.5 years of age and the Cavalier should have no Health problems.,also for the Cavalier Breeder to know the Health Status of the Cavaliers Parents at 5 years of age,that the buyer of a Cavalier should ask and be shown a Health Certificate from the Breeder that this is being done ,if not ,then don't buy a Cavalier from that Cavalier Breeder.

Bet

Just received my April Edition of Dogs Today magazine, and was pleased to see on the Letter page, under the Heading along -side a Photo of a Cavalier, BUYER BEWARE.

I mentioned about the Two Serious Health Problems Afflicting our Cavaliers, SM and MVD ,and the Breeding Recommendations given from the Researchers to Cavalier Breeders ,which are not to Breed from a Cavalier before 2.5 years of age and the Cavalier should have no Health problems.,also for the Cavalier Breeder to know the Health Status of the Cavaliers Parents at 5 years of age,that the buyer of a Cavalier should ask and be shown a Health Certificate from the Breeder that this is being done ,if not ,then don't buy a Cavalier from that Cavalier Breeder.

Bet

I have just noticed this New WEB SITE at

www.thekarltonindex.com

This is a WebSite to give examples of Good Practice for Health Problems in Different Breeds of Dogs.

It is designed to give a Picture of what is Happening in each Breed.

Also designed to be a Resource to Further Health Awareness .

It is well worth looking at.

All we know about our Cavalier Breed is that

Around 90% of Cavaliers CM, which is Chacterized by Brains being Too Big and Skulls Too Small .

That 85 Whelps ,all had CM which were Researched for the Foetal Tissue Research.

Also the 26 Older Cavaliers MRI Scanned all had CM except 2 which were mildly affected.

There is MVD DATA Information which has given the number at 2009 ,8664 and I don't know but is this where the figure of 50% Cavaliers having Heart Murmurs at 5-6 years of age came from.

What do we find , that Officials in the CKCS CLUB are Squabbling with the British Veterinary Association and the Kennel Club, about not wanting the MRI Scan Results of Cavaliers to be Published in KC Club's Breed Supplement for Cavaliers, they want this Information to be being kept hidden from the Cavalier Buying Public.

Also that Cavalier Health Officials are saying the 50% of Cavaliers having Heart Murmurs at 5-6 years of age ,given by MVD Researchers , are not Valid.

So the Questioned must be being asked.

What are the Cavalier Officials doing about those Two Serious Problems Afflicting our Cavaliers?

Some Cavalier Breeders are doing all they can , but what about the other Cavalier Breeders who are Members of the UK CKCS CLUB.

Bet

I have just noticed this New WEB SITE at

www.thekarltonindex.com

This is a WebSite to give examples of Good Practice for Health Problems in Different Breeds of Dogs.

It is designed to give a Picture of what is Happening in each Breed.

Also designed to be a Resource to Further Health Awareness .

It is well worth looking at.

All we know about our Cavalier Breed is that

Around 90% of Cavaliers CM, which is Chacterized by Brains being Too Big and Skulls Too Small .

That 85 Whelps ,all had CM which were Researched for the Foetal Tissue Research.

Also the 26 Older Cavaliers MRI Scanned all had CM except 2 which were mildly affected.

There is MVD DATA Information which has given the number at 2009 ,8664 and I don't know but is this where the figure of 50% Cavaliers having Heart Murmurs at 5-6 years of age came from.

What do we find , that Officials in the CKCS CLUB are Squabbling with the British Veterinary Association and the Kennel Club, about not wanting the MRI Scan Results of Cavaliers to be Published in KC Club's Breed Supplement for Cavaliers, they want this Information to be being kept hidden from the Cavalier Buying Public.

Also that Cavalier Health Officials are saying the 50% of Cavaliers having Heart Murmurs at 5-6 years of age ,given by MVD Researchers , are not Valid.

So the Questioned must be being asked.

What are the Cavalier Officials doing about those Two Serious Problems Afflicting our Cavaliers?

Some Cavalier Breeders are doing all they can , but what about the other Cavalier Breeders who are Members of the UK CKCS CLUB.

Bet

WHY are some Vociferious Cavalier Breeders so BLINKERED that they cannot understand the Harm they are doing to our Cavaliers by trying to Hinder the MRI Scanning Scheme from going ahead to help with the EBV Scheme by keeping those MRI Results Hidden.

I have just read what was said by Professor Jeff Sampson yesterday at Crufts about the Kennel Club's MATE SELECT Scheme, this is involved with the EBV SCHEME.

The Mate Select has information on every Dog that has been registered since the KC's Data-Base went Electronic in 1980

This Information goes further back because it includes the

PARENTS

GRAND-PARENTS

GREAT-GRAND-PARENTS

of Dogs Registered in 1980

Professor Sampson also said that this Data-Base can throw- out 25 Generations COI for some Dogs ,although typically it looks like it's about 8 Generations .

MATE SELECT will say Information complete for example 6 Generations and Incomplete for 8 Generations.

If IN-BREEDING has been involved with the Cavalier Breed's SM and MVD Health Problems , is this what some Cavalier Breeders are Scared about when their Cavaliers' COI's are being revealed.

Professor Sir P.Bateson said in his Report ,that even Grand-Father to Grand-Daughter ,Grand -Mother to Grand-Son is IN -BREEDING.

This where it now so important that the COI'S of Cavaliers can now be being revealed.

Not just for the benefit of Cavalier Breeders but the Cavalier Buying Public, if they see a Cavalier with the COI of say 25% and above and know about the Cavaliers' Health Problems ,then they could be wary of Breeding or buying that Cavalier.

If Prospective Cavalier Buyers cannot also be being shown Health Certificates and now Proof that the Cavalier Breeder has used the MATE SELECT information on their Cavalier Breeding Stock , then they should be advised to go to a Cavalier Breeder who does.

IN- BREEDING brings to the Fore the Health Problem that could have been Dormant.

Bet

Can you give the link for where Jeff Sampson said this? I have been on holiday for a few days so have missed out a bit and won't be at crufts.
thankyou

Can you give the link for where Jeff Sampson said this? I have been on holiday for a few days so have missed out a bit and won't be at crufts.
thankyou

CAN THE CAVALIER BREED BE SAVED ?

Davecav ,

You will see it on Jemima Harrison's Blog ,Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

Bet

Where the breeders who don't send their MRI results to the EBV scheme seem to be shortsighted is that their dogs' results are effectively going to be on there anyway. My understanding is that if, for example, a well-known and well-used stud dog has produced offspring with MVD or SM, and even one of those offspring is on the database, this will to some extent affect the Breeding Value of every dog in the affected dog's pedigree. For example, my Oliver is on the EBV database, with a three generation pedigree. So the evidence is there that he has SM, and this is going to affect the breeding values of every dog on his pedigree (though most of them are dead by now, because Oliver is nearly 10). So if someone wants to check out whether to line-breed to one of his illustrious forebears, the information on the EBV will reflect the fact that there is SM there (two of those forebears also had SM, but I'm not sure if they were scanned, as it was several years ago) - not by saying 'these dogs had SM', but by lowering their overall breeding value. If EBV doesn't provide detailed information, it will at least ring warning bells - why has that dog got a low score? Is it risky to breed back to him? Is it sensible to use this dog at stud? What questions do I need to ask? And I'm sure the EBV database will be used not only by breeders looking for a good match for a mating, but by serious puppy buyers who will check out the parents of a particular litter before buying.

All this refusal to go public with MRI results (even within the relative anonymity of the EBV scheme) is doing is raising the questions 'What have they got to hide?' 'Why aren't they proud to declare "My dog has scanned A" and is producing clear puppies?' The inference is that either the breeder hasn't scanned the dog (and therefore he is an unknown quantity and a risk) or the dog has scanned less than an A. This may be a wrong inference to draw - but unless the results are published, we DON'T KNOW.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Where the breeders who don't send their MRI results to the EBV scheme seem to be shortsighted is that their dogs' results are effectively going to be on there anyway. My understanding is that if, for example, a well-known and well-used stud dog has produced offspring with MVD or SM, and even one of those offspring is on the database, this will to some extent affect the Breeding Value of every dog in the affected dog's pedigree. For example, my Oliver is on the EBV database, with a three generation pedigree. So the evidence is there that he has SM, and this is going to affect the breeding values of every dog on his pedigree (though most of them are dead by now, because Oliver is nearly 10). So if someone wants to check out whether to line-breed to one of his illustrious forebears, the information on the EBV will reflect the fact that there is SM there (two of those forebears also had SM, but I'm not sure if they were scanned, as it was several years ago) - not by saying 'these dogs had SM', but by lowering their overall breeding value. If EBV doesn't provide detailed information, it will at least ring warning bells - why has that dog got a low score? Is it risky to breed back to him? Is it sensible to use this dog at stud? What questions do I need to ask? And I'm sure the EBV database will be used not only by breeders looking for a good match for a mating, but by serious puppy buyers who will check out the parents of a particular litter before buying.

All this refusal to go public with MRI results (even within the relative anonymity of the EBV scheme) is doing is raising the questions 'What have they got to hide?' 'Why aren't they proud to declare "My dog has scanned A" and is producing clear puppies?' The inference is that either the breeder hasn't scanned the dog (and therefore he is an unknown quantity and a risk) or the dog has scanned less than an A. This may be a wrong inference to draw - but unless the results are published, we DON'T KNOW.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks Kate for your Post .

Bet

Thanks Kate for your Post .

Bet

With CRUFTS in fore-front in the DOG World at the Week-End and the Perlious State the Cavalier Breed is in because of their SM and MVD Problems, would it not be a good idea for the BOB and CC Winners at Cavalier Shows , their Owners show a Health Certificate that those Cavaliers have no MVD or SM Problems and have been Bred following the Cavalier Breeding Guidelines for SM and MVD.

It is those Cavaliers who are winning at Cavalier Shows ,particularly Cavalier Dogs who will be getting most involved with Cavalier Breeding Programs who could be having an influence on the Future of our Cavaliers.

Bet

Hello,

Is it not possible to search which different spaniels have been crossed to become the first Cavalier so that can be worked to have the Cavalier back as 40 years ago and with a longer flatter skull?

Hello,

Is it not possible to search which different spaniels have been crossed to become the first Cavalier so that can be worked to have the Cavalier back as 40 years ago and with a longer flatter skull?

Linda,

Are you talking about the SM Problem in Cavaliers, I don't know if this would work since the Researchers say that around 90% of Cavaliers have CM, this is Chacterised by the Brains being too Big and the Skulls too Small.

If about 90% of Cavaliers have CM, then there must also be many Cavaliers about, Carriers with the CM Gene/Genes.

Could I also mention the Letter which has been sent to Rosemary Smart , Chief Excutive of the Kennel Club by Mark Watts ,Chief Executive of the RSPCA.

He has written to the Kennel Club about the RSPCA's grave concern about the Interviewees and Presenters repeatedly gave the Message that Pedigree Dogs ,including those shown at Crufts , on the More 4 TV Program ,are Happy and Healthy.

The Letter goes onto say ,that the Public is being Misled , that the TV Coverage should have been Open and Honest about the Serious Health and Welfare Issues that continue to Affect many Pedigree Dogs ,that the Issues were Glossed over

That Many Pedigree Dogs remain Vulnerable to Unnecessary Disease ,Disability ,Pain or Behavioural Problems ,because they're Bred Primarily for how they look .

Did the TV Commentators mention about the Two Serious Health Problems Afflicting Our Cavalier Breed SM and MVD, No , only about they make an Ideal Pet .

Bet

Thanks for your answer Bet.

Could this description also apply to our Cavaliers.

This has just appeared describing Pugs.

The Article mentions the Skull of the Pug Breed , but we know that around 90% of our Cavaliers have CM ,which is Chacterised by Brains being too Big and Skulls too Small .

Also the Article goes onto say that a Dog with a Short Snout (NOSE) has no Front -End Eye Protection when running in Grass ,that this can cause serious Injury because their Eyes sit right on the edge of the Wedge of their Skulls with little or no Protection,that Short Noses are Maladaptive.

Long Noses should be the Norm like many other Breeds have.

A Dog the the Article further mentions with a Short Nose will always have Teeth Problems ,I sure can vouch for that with the Teeth problems our Cavaliers had,that the Jaws have been Shortened and that now there is no Place for the Teeth and Tongue to go.

Also mentioned is a Dog with a Short Nose will always have a Compromised Sense of Smell and may always have Serious Breathing Problems, we have all read ,how on a Hot Day at Cavalier Shows particular care has to be being given to Cavaliers ,that they have to have Fans etc to ease their Breathing.

This reason for Dog's having Breathing Problems is that the Nasal Chambers are Smaller of a Short Nosed Dog than a Long Nosed Dog,and this can obstruct the Flow of Air

The Article concludes by saying that it was not Mother Nature who gave Dogs the Short Noses ,that those Physical Problems were not of the Dogs Making .

Finally can I conclude by saying that those Comments will get me into MORE HOT WATER with some Cavalier Breeders.

There is a Saying .

IF A PERSON CAN BE JUDGED BY THEIR ENEMIES .

THAT'S SOME ONE YOU'D ALWAYS WAN'T ON YOUR SIDE.

CAVALIER LOVER

Bet

Could this description also apply to our Cavaliers.

This has just appeared describing Pugs.

The Article mentions the Skull of the Pug Breed , but we know that around 90% of our Cavaliers have CM ,which is Chacterised by Brains being too Big and Skulls too Small .

Also the Article goes onto say that a Dog with a Short Snout (NOSE) has no Front -End Eye Protection when running in Grass ,that this can cause serious Injury because their Eyes sit right on the edge of the Wedge of their Skulls with little or no Protection,that Short Noses are Maladaptive.

Long Noses should be the Norm like many other Breeds have.

A Dog the the Article further mentions with a Short Nose will always have Teeth Problems ,I sure can vouch for that with the Teeth problems our Cavaliers had,that the Jaws have been Shortened and that now there is no Place for the Teeth and Tongue to go.

Also mentioned is a Dog with a Short Nose will always have a Compromised Sense of Smell and may always have Serious Breathing Problems, we have all read ,how on a Hot Day at Cavalier Shows particular care has to be being given to Cavaliers ,that they have to have Fans etc to ease their Breathing.

This reason for Dog's having Breathing Problems is that the Nasal Chambers are Smaller of a Short Nosed Dog than a Long Nosed Dog,and this can obstruct the Flow of Air

The Article concludes by saying that it was not Mother Nature who gave Dogs the Short Noses ,that those Physical Problems were not of the Dogs Making .

Finally can I conclude by saying that those Comments will get me into MORE HOT WATER with some Cavalier Breeders.

There is a Saying .

IF A PERSON CAN BE JUDGED BY THEIR ENEMIES .

THAT'S SOME ONE YOU'D ALWAYS WAN'T ON YOUR SIDE.

CAVALIER LOVER

Bet

I wonder if I could mention this from Jemima Harrison's latest Blog.

She begins by congratulating the Researchers that now the Cavalier Breeders and Cavalier Owners can now have access to DNA Tests as from 18 th April into the Health Problems of DRY EYE and CURLY COAT and EPISODIC FALLING through the ANIMAL HEALTH TRUST'S online DNA TESTING WEBSHOP AT

http://www..ahtdnatesting.co.uk/

She also adds this Sobering thought about our Beloved Cavalier Breed

When you add MVD

SYRINGOMYELIA

PSOM

LUXATING PATELLAS

DEAFNESS

RETINAL DYSPLASIA

and other Health Issues afflicting Our Cavaliers ,one has to ask just how many HEALTH PROBLEMS does Any One Breed have to suffer before One Starts to Question wheter it is MORALLY or ETHICALLY ACCEPTIBLE to Continue Breeding Them

Jemima Harrison continues by saying ,that of course not every Cavalier Doomed to Ill Health , and an Early Death,but
at what POINT does One Say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Particularly if the Cavalier Breed is continued to be being Bred in the Same Way that CREATED ALL THOSE PROBLEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

If I could now add my own thoughts to the Cavalier Health Problems ,particularly SM and MVD.

There is so much Bickering amongst a Certain Few Cavalier Breeders about the Cavaliers SM Problem ,surely when a Cavalier has a Syrinx and this has been said by Neurologists that a Syrinx Denotes SM, that it is so important not to Breed from a Cavalier before 2.5 years of age and know the Health Status of the Parents at 5.

This is to delay the Early On-Set of both SM and MVD.

That over 90 % of Cavaliers have CM, which is Chacterised with Brains Too Big and Skulls Too Small.

That 85 Whelps in the Foetal Tissue Research were all had CM.

Now what do we find what is happening ,that some of the more Vociferious of the Cavalier Breeders are looking for every Excuse they can come up with for Delaying the MRI Scanning Information being given to the EBV SCHEME.

Now onto the MVD Problem which has Afflicted the Cavaliers for so Many ,Many Years, that now the MVD Researchers are saying that there are could be so many Cavalier Carriers around with the MVD GENES.

I do wish the CKCS CLUB LIAISON COMMITTEE would realize this and stop Pussy Footing about and tell us Cavalier Owners who have been Heart Broken at losing our Cherished Cavaliers at such early ages.

WHAT ARE THEY DOING ABOUT THE MVD PROBLEM IN CAVALIERS?????

WE WOULD ALL LOVE TO HEAR FROM THE LIASON COMMITTEE THE ANSWER TO THIS!!!!!

Finally ,can I conclude by saying by saying that it was not the Cavalier Liason Committee who was involved in the Exciting DNA Discovery for the Episodic Falling in our Cavaliers ,this was all due to Barbara Reese and a few Friends.

Hopefully the CKCS LIAISON Committee will now tackle the TWO MOST SERIOUS HEATH PROBLEMS IN CAVALIERS, SM AND MVD, and not have the Cavalier Buying Public be wondering ,after reading Jemima Harrison's Blog, is there any -one who are Officials in the CKKC CLUB who really cares about about the Health of our Cavalier Breed.

Bet

I wonder if I could mention this from Jemima Harrison's latest Blog.

She begins by congratulating the Researchers that now the Cavalier Breeders and Cavalier Owners can now have access to DNA Tests as from 18 th April into the Health Problems of DRY EYE and CURLY COAT and EPISODIC FALLING through the ANIMAL HEALTH TRUST'S online DNA TESTING WEBSHOP AT

http://www..ahtdnatesting.co.uk/

She also adds this Sobering thought about our Beloved Cavalier Breed

When you add MVD

SYRINGOMYELIA

PSOM

LUXATING PATELLAS

DEAFNESS

RETINAL DYSPLASIA

and other Health Issues afflicting Our Cavaliers ,one has to ask just how many HEALTH PROBLEMS does Any One Breed have to suffer before One Starts to Question wheter it is MORALLY or ETHICALLY ACCEPTIBLE to Continue Breeding Them

Jemima Harrison continues by saying ,that of course not every Cavalier Doomed to Ill Health , and an Early Death,but
at what POINT does One Say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Particularly if the Cavalier Breed is continued to be being Bred in the Same Way that CREATED ALL THOSE PROBLEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

If I could now add my own thoughts to the Cavalier Health Problems ,particularly SM and MVD.

There is so much Bickering amongst a Certain Few Cavalier Breeders about the Cavaliers SM Problem ,surely when a Cavalier has a Syrinx and this has been said by Neurologists that a Syrinx Denotes SM, that it is so important not to Breed from a Cavalier before 2.5 years of age and know the Health Status of the Parents at 5.

This is to delay the Early On-Set of both SM and MVD.

That over 90 % of Cavaliers have CM, which is Chacterised with Brains Too Big and Skulls Too Small.

That 85 Whelps in the Foetal Tissue Research were all had CM.

Now what do we find what is happening ,that some of the more Vociferious of the Cavalier Breeders are looking for every Excuse they can come up with for Delaying the MRI Scanning Information being given to the EBV SCHEME.

Now onto the MVD Problem which has Afflicted the Cavaliers for so Many ,Many Years, that now the MVD Researchers are saying that there are could be so many Cavalier Carriers around with the MVD GENES.

I do wish the CKCS CLUB LIAISON COMMITTEE would realize this and stop Pussy Footing about and tell us Cavalier Owners who have been Heart Broken at losing our Cherished Cavaliers at such early ages.

WHAT ARE THEY DOING ABOUT THE MVD PROBLEM IN CAVALIERS?????

WE WOULD ALL LOVE TO HEAR FROM THE LIASON COMMITTEE THE ANSWER TO THIS!!!!!

Finally ,can I conclude by saying by saying that it was not the Cavalier Liason Committee who was involved in the Exciting DNA Discovery for the Episodic Falling in our Cavaliers ,this was all due to Barbara Reese and a few Friends.

Hopefully the CKCS LIAISON Committee will now tackle the TWO MOST SERIOUS HEATH PROBLEMS IN CAVALIERS, SM AND MVD, and not have the Cavalier Buying Public be wondering ,after reading Jemima Harrison's Blog, is there any -one who are Officials in the CKKC CLUB who really cares about about the Health of our Cavalier Breed.

Bet

Can I start off by saying it's worth while Reading Margaret's Reply on Jemima Harrison's BLOG about the Cavalier Breed.

Also can I mention that it being mentioned by some Cavalier Breeders that the Buyers of Cavaliers won't understand the meaning of the Different GRADES, and that is why those Cavalier Breeders who are so much against the Publication of the MRI Scanning Results.

Then for Goodness Sake , as the Neurologists have said ,to make it Simpler for the Prospective Cavalier Buyer , to let them to be told ,if a Cavalier has a Syrinx ,that Cavalier has SM.

Then it is up to the Cavalier Buyer to understand what it means for a Cavalier to have CM ,SM or both conditions and the suffering and the expense that those Conditions can cost for Pain Relieving Medication ,then the Cavalier Buyer can make up their mind if they are prepared to risk having a Cavalier.

Is this not the Bottom Line , what the Cavalier Buyer wants to know is whether a Cavalier has a Syrinx which Denotes SM or not.

Is this not what should be being Publicised to all Buyers of Cavaliers?

I would think so.

Bet

It is very difficult for even me to understand. I had asked about in the usa, why do they not give certificates with grades and someone told me that it would be very difficult for a pet owner to understand.

I am not saying I am against the publication of results especially if it helps breeders be able to identify potential matches. I can't speak for the uk because I don't know about what certain certificates explain but as far as the usa, there still are several people unaware of SM. Plus a cavalier can be breed as a D grade (according to SM protocol) and so I wonder how that could be explained to pet buyers as to why it was used for breeding say to an A.

So yes, I feel it would need to explain more and actually have the pair and not simply one. I don't know but if it makes things better for breeders and researchers then great! For potential buyers, I personally feel they need to do their due diligence and ask on all issues and ask to see results themselves and not based on publications. One litter can change from previous. I personally feel if breeders explain to the potential owner all health conditions, possibility of CM/SM and importance of staying in contact, then the buyer knows risks. a grade A to a grade A still has a 25% chance according to research so it is something all people should know.

Don't have solution but let's hope in the usa, that I continue to see more low cost clinics and breeders starting to scan.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I know the arguement is first time buyers don't know how to ask questions or due their own research, yet so many still fail to ask about heart certificates that I don't know how many would end up looking at scan grades. But this is something in the uk and I just wanted to express what someone said when asked about why we don't get certificates in the usa

Can the cavalier breed be saved ?

It is very difficult for even me to understand. I had asked about in the usa, why do they not give certificates with grades and someone told me that it would be very difficult for a pet owner to understand.

I am not saying I am against the publication of results especially if it helps breeders be able to identify potential matches. I can't speak for the uk because I don't know about what certain certificates explain but as far as the usa, there still are several people unaware of SM. Plus a cavalier can be breed as a D grade (according to SM protocol) and so I wonder how that could be explained to pet buyers as to why it was used for breeding say to an A.

So yes, I feel it would need to explain more and actually have the pair and not simply one. I don't know but if it makes things better for breeders and researchers then great! For potential buyers, I personally feel they need to do their due diligence and ask on all issues and ask to see results themselves and not based on publications. One litter can change from previous. I personally feel if breeders explain to the potential owner all health conditions, possibility of CM/SM and importance of staying in contact, then the buyer knows risks. a grade A to a grade A still has a 25% chance according to research so it is something all people should know.

Don't have solution but let's hope in the usa, that I continue to see more low cost clinics and breeders starting to scan.

ANNE, this is what I have fought for, for our Cavaliers over the past 20 years ibecause of their MVD Problem, and now it has Snow Balled onto the SM Problem, if the Parents have any sign of MVD they should not have been Bred from, and the same goes for SM ,if the Cavaliers have any signs of a Syrinx ,which means they are suffering from SM ,then they should not be being Bred from.

That's all the Prospective Cavalier Buyer needs to know, that the Cavalier they want to buy Parents or Parent has SM.

Bet

ANNE, this is what I have fought for, for our Cavaliers over the past 20 years ibecause of their MVD Problem, and now it has Snow Balled onto the SM Problem, if the Parents have any sign of MVD they should not have been Bred from, and the same goes for SM ,if the Cavaliers have any signs of a Syrinx ,which means they are suffering from SM ,then they should not be being Bred from.

That's all the Prospective Cavalier Buyer needs to know, that the Cavalier they want to buy Parents or Parent has SM.

Bet

This is exactly my point. You could have a cavalier over 5, very small syrinx, extremely good heart line along with other health issues who is asymptomatic which if you say not be breed is actually not something I believe. That is why there are D's because to eliminate these would reduce gene pool and would be impossible for the breed to continue. So if you feel that way then that's your opinion to not have the breed and to respect it, but if things can be misunderstood (which even I do) then there is a problem.

I respect margaret carter because even though I don't feel the same, she asked a question and stated she does not know if they should continue to be bred. That's her opinion and she is open about it. People have a right to opinions and so do you so if that's how you feel, then I will respect it, but if breeders follow protocols then they are doing what researchers suggest which even includes D cavaliers so they should also not be faulted.

Like Margaret, I respect others that have different opinions and speak out. We all have the right to our own feelings which can even change each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back