• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our puppy was mauled...long

Oh my goodness. I want to SLAP that stupid chow owner and for that matter, the grooming facility owner. :x :x :x I'm so sorry that you had to go through this - eventually Tinkerbell will learn to forgive and forget. I certainly hope you pursue legal action against both of these people.

I can't even imagine how you're feeling - our neighbor's dog lunged at Scout the other day (I picked him up just in time) and I was so mad I honestly haven't even spoken to our neighbors since.

What a awful awful experience for you both. Our thoughts are with you and wishing Tinkerbell a full recovery. Give her a big :hug:

I had a similar experinece when Joly was not much older than Tinkerbell and hope that she remains unaffected as Joly is.

We used to go to a small dog training classOnly about 10 dogs in all), run by a competitor, rather than a professional, but the class is very good, as it's aimed at show obedience and not bad behaviour.

As there was only one class, I paid a much reduced fee and Joly only had a few very short work sessions and with me and with, Andy,the trainer. Joly was coming back to me, after doing some heelwork and a fuss, with Andy, when a german shepherd, whom his owner later admitted disliked puppies, leapt up and grabbed him by the scruff. I'm told that he was shaken hard, but I was too shocked, as was everyone else, to notice.

Luckily Joly's screams startled Jay, who dropped him and Joly ran away, in a sort of trance, unable to recognize anyone, though most people there usually made a fuss of him. However, Andy managed to scoop him up and after half an hour he was back to normal, which could not be said for the rest of us.

Jay's owner was experinced with the breed and he was very human friendly, the only contratemps we ever saw being with a Doberman of equal size and age (this only mutual barking). He never even seemed to bother with the other dogs there and was lazy about his work, too, prefering a snooze. However, his owner was aware of his attitude to pups and should not have let him offlead, knowing that a young pup was about. She took him out straight away and never brought him back.

Amazingly, she risked getting a puppy herself (one was booked at the time) and was going to leave him, crated, but home alone with jay, for some hours each day. All went well, I gather, as I saw her last year, when she explained that the future show dog hadn't turned out as expected (ear fault).

It was Andy's wife who told me that Joly had actually been shaken and said that everyone was amazed at how calmly I'd taken things, but there was nothing to be done; Joly was unhurt, as his thick fluff saved him and Jay's owner had learned her lesson. She wa svery concerned about Joly and , having removed Jay, satyed for the rest of the session.

This was a case of an owner being too soft. Training should be done with kindness, but some dogs need the handler to be firm and she was not. Jay always worked better with someone else, who didn't ask him to come close, sit etc.

That's just awful that something like that happened. Glad to hear she is improving every day.

Unless it's just too emotional for you, I definately would not let this go. If it were me, I would send him copies of the vet bills by registered mail (return receipt ) and demand reimbursement within 14 calendar days. If you don't get anything, then take him to small claims (conciliation) court. Doesn't cost much at all to go and if you lose you aren't out much. Don't let this retired trooper intimidate you, they're trained in how to do that as part of their job when dealing with bad people. In fact, I wouldn't say anything more than you owe me $x.xx and it will be up to the court to decide who's right.

Good luck, hoping for a speedy recovery.

Jenny,

I am so sorry to hear what happened to Tinkerbell and yourself. I had chills reading your story and a knot in my stomach just thinking about how fast these things can happen.

I am appauled and shocked at not only the chow's owner, but the shop owner as well. As Caraline stated, it's all about the almight dollar, espeically here in the US. I can't believe a groomer, who I think of as a lover of animals, dogs more so than any other animal, would take such an attitude. She should be helping you secure your vet bills, although I understand this is not your main concern.

Best wishes and a speedy and healthy recovery to both Tinkerbell and yourself (emotionally). Scout, Breeze and I will be thinking about you.

Oh my goodness, I should have posted this before, but it was too painful. I even felt like maybe I did something wrong, but am over that feeling now.

I called animal control the day that this incidence occurred and they would not even take a report, to at least leave a paper trail, b/c it was dog to dog. I then called a few days later, I was much calmer and they still wouldn't take a report.

I called the state police in hopes of talking to this guys sargeant, but as I said before, he had just retired.

I talked at length with my vet and he did not know of any laws that might help my case. However, someone hear wrote of a of some type of bi-law, so I am going to research that.

The thing is, we will not know if there is going to be permanent nerve damage for about 2 months. I am hopeful though, as she is doing better and better each day.

My concern was that she would be nervous around big dogs. So my vet asked his tech to bring in "Norman". Norman is his big 'ole loveable bulldog...huge!!!! TinkerBell ran right up to him and began sniffing him all around. No nervousness at all!!! I hope that it continues!

Thanks everyone for your kind words! At the time, I really had lost all trust in mankind, I am slowly regaining it though.

I will keep you posted!

Oh Jenny, I am so sorry that this happened to you! Thank goodness that Tinkerbell is improving and wasn't killed by the shaking! It is insane to me that people are so insensitive. How would that owner have felt if the tables were turned and their dog was injured!?! If it were me in the chow owner's situation and I truly believed that I did not have a violent dog, I would have apologetically paid for all of your expenses to hopefully avoid any legal action and not take my dog in public again! I can't believe they had to the gall to call you and ask if Tink had her rabies shot. I hope that your nerves are calming and I hope that you can find some way to get restitution.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm all choked up reading this. I would write to the groomers and tell them you will be writing to your local news paper and a solicitor if they don't pay the vet bill (you don't have to follow up with the solicitor if you can't afford it). This should make the groomer pay up.

Really what's important here is Tinkerbell's health and stopping this dog from ever doing it again.

I'd "name and shame" and we call it here. I'm so angry about this.

Jenny,

How awful for you! :yikes I kad a huge knot in my tuimmy reading this. I'm so glad that Tinkerbell is on the mend. :hug: :hug: to you both.

Jenny37 said:

Oh my goodness, I should have posted this before, but it was too painful. I even felt like maybe I did something wrong, but am over that feeling now.

Oh Jenny please don't think that, you did absoutely nothing wrong. It could have just as easily been another person innocently walking into the groomers. If you would have known that this dog was going to grab Tinkerbell everyone here knows you would have taken any and all precautions.

i am so glad that tinkerbell is continuing to improve and that she was comfortable with the big dog. i hope that you contiue to improve also. what a jideous thing to have to go through. although there are jerks out there (like the cow owner) there are also many wonderful people so don't give up all hope for humanity. lots of :hug::hug::hug:s to you and tinkerbell. keeping our fingers crossed that there is not lasting damage.

This is terrible. I'm disgusted by owner of the shop-how they could let such a dog stay when there were others in possible danger is just neglect to all other customers, flat out. The Chow's owner's attitude makes me wonder if this dog has done something like this previously. I echo the opinions that you need to pursue this, if you are able to. This just isn't right, from so many angles.
Chows scare me; I have heard numerous reports of attacks, etc. Our friends in Tennessee had their Mini Schnauzer attacked by their neighbors Chow--twice. Both times it broke free from it's tether. The second time, because it bit my friend when she was trying to get her Schnauzer from it, animal control removed the dog and eventually put it to sleep.
They're bred to be watch dogs, and as with other breeds, if they get in the wrong hands it's never a good situation.:(

Last edited:
You were completely and totally NOT at fault. Don't accept any responsibility for this. The blame lies completely on the chow's owner. Not even on the chow...but the owner. Dog Fancy just had chows as their featured dog and one of the things I remember most is that it specifically states that chows are not dog friendly. He should have known better.

Oh Jenny, I am so sorry.. This story has just made me sick. And then people wonder why we are so strict and "crazy dog lady like" with our dogs. I can't tell you how many stares I get at the vets office, etc becaues I refuse to put either dog down. I do let them go into petsmart and stuff but as soon as any sort of dog comes close to me the first thing out of my mouth is "is your dog nice?" I know that still probably wouldn't have prevented this incidence, but I like to think it might help. Kosmo was attacked in class once by a golden doodle whos owner said "he looks like a cat." Ugh. I learned my lesson never to go off leash with dogs I don't fully trust. He was one of those hyper-active dogs that was always jumping and stuff.

You know, I saw a case like this on Judge Judy once and although the lady's dog wasn't as fortunate, it is a similar situation. The lady was able to sue for the price of the dog and although she wasn't compensated for loss of work and trauma (like she sued for) she was able to get the vet bills and the price of her baby back from the man. They were at a parade and she had her dog in a purse. A pit bull came up and took the dog out of the purse and started death shaking it. Unfortunately the dog didn't make it - it was a puppy and like 2lbs. ;(

I'm glad to hear that princess Tinkerbell is improving. I am also glad you're regaining your faith in mankind. It's terrible the way some people are. I agree with Bruce - don't let this guy's reputation intimidate you. I would try to exhaust every avenue possible if I were you.

:hug::hug::hug:

I would try to make a report-- Property damage if nothing else (if the chow had scratched your CAR you would have recourse)// Get YOUR emotional distress documented. There has to be something that can be done.

My god what a story I think I would have died poor tinkerbell :( I don't know what you can do but I for one would try to make that owner pay maybe the only way to affect him is though his pocket :( If that was my dog that did that, I would be so upset and would have offered to pay all vet bills

Is there something similar to Tripadvisor you could use. You know the way you have a really bad experience with a hotel, you can vent your anger and name and shame the place by telling your story. Do they have that for businesses. I'd personally love to send a solicitors letter or something, just for the sake of it. What horrible people.
Y

What an ordeal for you both to go through, Im so glad that Tinkerbell is on the mend, you are both in our thoughts :hug:

This is a terrible thing to have happened to Tinkerbell. You need to try and make the owner accountable for the actions of his dog.
As a retired insurance agent there are 2 things I know for certain. The shop owner is liable for what happens in her shop and the dog owner is liable for the actions of his dog. Get a lawyer and don't let this man intimidate you into not following through on paying for your vet bills and Tinkerbell's suffering.
The next time his Chow may go after a person. We wish a speedy recovery to Tinkerbell.

Last edited:
Back