• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our puppy was mauled...long

Hi Jenny and Tinkerbell.
I am so glad she recovered. I simply can't beleive the way some dog owners behave, like they don't care about the deeds of their dogs. Or cavaliers are smaller than most other dogs, and therefore easy to attack, but this does not mean that our dogs are to blame! Victims NEVER carry the fault, the aggressors do!
Sue the owner! I have also experienced walking with my dog in a leash, and larger dogs running loose just towards us, and when my dog acted scared, the dog owners blamed me for transferring my insecurity to my dog! Rubbish, that is! It is the owners responsibility to control their dogs, no matter the situation.
Lots of hugs to you both!:hug:

Can't believe how irresponsible some people are, it's beyond imagination. I hope you both recover well.:hug::hug:

I'm so sorry to hear of this incident. Thankfully she is okay. I do hope that the owner of the dog pays the vets bills.

Unfortunately, when my previous cavalier was a puppy he was attacked down the park by a German Shepherd and lost an eye. It has made me very wary of other dogs ;(

Last edited:
This is shocking. Apart from anything else, the groomer should know breed characteristics. If, as others have said, chows are well known as being dog-aggressive, shouldn't the groomer have had it crated, for the safety of other dogs? After all, to be materialistic about it, dogs are property- and in the case of Cavs, rather expensive property. It'd be like leaving your luggage at one of those secure-left luggage places and coming back to find that the porter had allowed a thief to waltz in and out again with your belongings.

I am so glad that Tinkerbell is OK, I was so worried when I started reading what happened! The owner of the chow and the owner of the shop should be ashamned of themselves!! If it were me I would pursue it and take the owner of the chow to small claims court to pay for all vet expenses. Don't let him intimidate you, he sounds like a jerk. I would even consult an attorney. The owner of the shop and the chows owner should have known better, like the others here have said, chows are pretty well known for being an aggressive breed. And they obviously did not have control of their dog. I'd take him to court.

What a horrific thing to happen, I could not believe what I was reading! The main thing is that Tinkerbelle is making a steady recovery and has not lost confidence in other dogs as this is such an impressionable age for this to have happened at! I hope that the chow's owners realises that it was he who was in the wrong and does the decent thing by paying your bills at the very least. I think Bruce's advice is pretty sound to be honest.

A huge :hug: for both of you, keep us posted on her progress?

I would also like to add how sorry I am to hear that this has happened to you, must have been terrifying for both you and Tinkerbell.

I would strongly advise you to try and seek some sort of advice on where you stand legally as in my opinion the owner should at least have a warning to keep his dog under control and if necessary muzzled in public.

In the UK, the authorities take attacks on other dogs as serious as attacks on people and this man would be heading straight for a court case by now.

I am however glad to hear that Tinkerbell is starting to make a recovery and hope this doesn't scar her too badly (emotionally as well as physical).

Give her nice big kisses from me and Bertie, thinking of you both.

Alison

In the UK, the authorities take attacks on other dogs as serious as attacks on people and this man would be heading straight for a court case by now.

That wasn't the case when my puppy lost an eye when he was savaged by another dog down the park.

The police and the local dog warden were disinterested because a human wasn't attacked. There are no laws to protect dogs from other dogs as 'that's what dogs do' and therefore I was unable to prosecute, despite his horrific injury.

Last edited:
Jenny i am so sorry to hear this happened to u! i have a lump in my throat reading this!! i am so happy that tinkerbell is getting better and we'll keep her in our prays and hope that she gets back to herself!! i cannot describe what i would have said to him or what i would do to him!

Has the grooming shop contacted u at all?

No, I have not been contacted by the owner of the grooming shop. I am sure she is hoping that she will not have to deal with any of it.

I go back tomorrow to take my personal grooming equipment, I have really put it off. I was supposed to go last week, but couldn't get myself to do it.

What is also said, is that I considered the owner to be kind, thoughtful and a friend. However as we all know, a friend would never sell out a friend for the mighty dollar, as she did. I am still numb and dumbfounded when I think about it. Yes, her shop is new and its not as busy as it could be, but to do what she did, is unacceptable.

I am not sure if she realizes it, but the vet I went to, is the only vet in this small town. So they (the vet, vet techs, receptionist etc...) know the story and that she kept the chow dog b/c she wanted the money. I doubt they will refer much business to her, in turn she might have hurt her own business by doing that. You know how people all talk in a small town.

I am not even sure what I going to say to her, I know she will ask about TinkerBell. Truth is that TinkerBell is doing wonderful, you can hardly see much of a limp.

I'll have to think through what I want to say, when I get mad, my mouth takes on a mind of its own. LOL

Thank goodness you and your puppy are ok!!!! When I read your thread yesterday I was speechless in horror at what happened. Even if there are no state or local laws protecting your puppy, I would think the police would give the chow owner a warning!

My husband and our two female cavaliers were attacked by two [poorly bred] labrador retrievers earlier this year, and the police were all over the owner of the dog that bit our dog (even though my husband wasn't bitten and I don't know of any laws protecting my dogs from other dogs!)

In light of the many changes to animal welfare laws, where even now FEMA has to treat our dogs as family members during crisis situations, I would think a letter to your state legislators or local government could possibly make a difference.

I too am so glad you and Tinkerbell are OK. My little cavalier Annie was attacked by a pit bull mix a couple years ago and physically was OK though badly bruised and many puncture wounds. Those heal. It is the emotional trauma for the pup and owner that is most difficult to heal.

Omg i am sooo sorry that this happened to you!:yikes im absolutely shocked and appalled that any person can be so irresponsible!! Thank goodness you and TinkerBell are okay!!! Hopefully TinkerBell will fully recover and not be left with nerve damage or anything like that!! i cante believe that chow dog owner wasnt even given a warning???? and the cheek of them to say you puppy started the fight?

What is also said, is that I considered the owner to be kind, thoughtful and a friend. However as we all know, a friend would never sell out a friend for the mighty dollar, as she did. I am still numb and dumbfounded when I think about it. Yes, her shop is new and its not as busy as it could be, but to do what she did, is unacceptable
youre absolutely right...that is totally unacceptable!!! what some people do for money....its horrible:x

Hope everything goes well....keep us updated:)

:hug: from me and the boys

Jenny - I am sooo sorry to hear about what happened to Tinkerbell. It took me back to the time Audrey was about the same age and a Rottweiler, who was walking off-leash with his horribly irresponsible owner, saw her and had the full intention of killing her!!

Like others said, physically she was okay (I had to pull her up by her leash and little neck so that the vicious dog wouldn't get a bite of her), but she is still emotionally traumatized. She was okay with big dogs for a while, but to this day, she is terrified of big dogs. If I am walking her outside and a big dog is near us, she starts crying and screaming.

Please try to go after the owner of the dog in small claims. It is ludicrous that a dog owner would be allowed to excuse his dog's dangerous behavior!!

Hugs to you and Tinkerbell. :paw:

I am so sorry this happened to tinkerbell sooo glad she is ok. What a horrable experience for both of you.
I would never own a chow, when my children were small my daughters best friend had a chow that was really friendly with my kids.
One day I sent my son over to get his sister and the chow attacked him biting his leg he needed stitches.
a year later the chow attacked his owner really bad needed surgery they had a hard time getting the dog off of her, they had him put to sleep he was only 3 years old, they are very unpredictable.
judy

Jenny how did it go today with the grooming parlour? i was talking about what happened to u and tinkerbell to my other half last night and i was getting really upset and angry, all i could think was god i would say that jenny felt 10 times worse!

I am so so glad that tinkerbell is doing good!

What a traumatic thing for you and Tinkerbell to go through. I'm sure the pup will bounce back and be fine in the long run.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but in addition to the shop owner's insurance, you might want to file a claim with the dog owner's homeowners insurance policy. Most policies include liability coverage for damage or injuries caused by pets.

Dave

Oh Jenny, I can only imagine how you must feel going back to the groomers to pick up your stuff. If I was living near, I'd go with you. I wouldn't mind what you say. She should have taken your side. There has to be something wrong with her not to react to what happened. Let us know how it goes. I would take someone with you, keep calm and hopefully any other customers will hear what you have to say too. Don't forget to breath.;)

Sorry Tinkerbell

Jenny & Tinkerbell so sorry you had this happen. I am glad Tinkerbell will be ok. My Lighingbug was attack at a dog park but, lucky for him the dog was a smaller breed. The attact only seem to affect him socially....he's little afraid of other dogs. I think he is working through it I haven't so, I hope you'll be ok!! Please, try have that man pay your vet bills!

I am upset FOR you! I had/still have goose bumps reading this--I couldn't ever imagine a cavalier, let alone a 12 week old baby, instigating any situation with another dog-I am so glad she has no severe damage-what a nightmare!! I would pursue something, anything!!! Best of luck!!!!

Back