• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our puppy was mauled...long

I was absolutely livid when I read your first post. (I have the utmost of sympathy for you and Tinkerbelle - bottom line is that we all hope that the two of you can pull yourselves back together from this.) The actions of the shop owner and the dog owner are unbelievable.

I agree with Bruce 100%.

Did you take photos of Tinkerbelle when the accident first happened? Have you taken photos of the healing process? Photographic evidence is one of the best things that you can have. (I know, too much People's Court)

I wouldn't let it rest - I'd be sending that jerk certified copies of the vet bills every time you have to take Tinkerbelle in and I'd send copies of the photos if you took any. I'd ask the vet to write a statement about the possibility of nerve damage, and if there is anyone in the shop who would be willing to stick their neck out and write a letter verifying the way things would happen I'd get that too. I'd also copy the owner of the shop with everything. If the groom shop has not called you to check on Tinkerbelle I would not be inclined to tell her much of anything about what condition Tinkerbelle is in. I would be evasive and say that the vet hopes there won't be permanent damage or something to that affect. Let her dangle.

As far as chows being more aggressive toward other dogs, I have to tell you that the first bad dog bite I ever got was from a chow.

Another situation I was in that really shows the true nature of a lot of people was when we were treating an 80# dog who was almost dead because he had such a bad flea infestation. We had been bathing him, trying to get all the fleas we could off of him then the vet asked me to help put him on a table so she could examine him.

We picked him up and the next thing I knew I was feeling teeth going down the side of my head. I shouted a socially unacceptable word, grabbed the dog out of the vet's grip and literally threw him onto the floor. Nothing like adrenaline!

The dog had not been vaccinated in years. I had to have sutures in my ear and was a wreck for a few days. The dog was kept in the clinic but the owner never asked how I was. I couldn't believe how thoughtless they were, knowing that an employee had been injured. The dog ultimately had to be put down and sent off for rabies testing and I healed but it wasn't one of my best days!

Keep on them, Jenny. They owe you at the very least your vet bills.

I'm glad the two of you are okay, but it is something that won't be easily forgotten.

Sorry I am so late to this but I was absolutely appalled as I read your encounter with that chow. I wanted to slap the stupid owner and the owner of the grooming shop. What if that had been a child that walked in as its obvious the Chow was going to bite the first thing that walked into the door. How could this idiot think a puppy provoked his full grown dog that ought to be trained not to lunge at things! As for the groomer if I was in the shop and that dog was allowed to stay I would walk right out with my dog. There is nothing worth the life of my pup. I am so sorry you had this awful experience and dealt with a bunch of insensitive idiots. I hope TInkerBelle is on the mend and it sounds like she is a delightful little girl who won't even remember this experience soon.

Like everyone else has said, I was so mad when I read your post, I just wanted to scream. That idiot owner was clearly trying to go by the rule that the best defense is a good offense. He figured if he threatened you, you would be too scared to hold him acccountable for what his #%$^$#& vicious dog did! I am not a litigious person by nature, but here is one case where a lawsuit is not only warranted, but I think would be a good lesson for a person who is clearly too stupid to control his dog.

Good luck to you and Tinkerbelle (one of my first cat's names, by the way). I hope you get some retribution or reimbursement from this horrible event.

Omg

OMG! Im so glad to hear she is feeling better. It's a scary world out there...in every way. Im sure its not something anyone sets out to do....but he should own up and at least offer to help pay! Though, you'll probably feel better if you never think of him again! Further pressure to get him to pay, will fusturate you even more! I just hope he took a lesson with him...

Interesting Update...

Well, first off, TinkerBell is doing phenominal!!! She is not limping at all!!!

Secondly, I found out some very interesting information about the Animal Control in my county, but let me start at the beginning. This past Tuesday, as I was jogging on a road directly behind my home, I was bitten by a Choc. Lab...can you believe my luck???!!!! Anyway, this dog came out of the blue, hissing, showing its teeth and lungeing. I continued to jog and pray that I would not get bit. The lab did one last lunge and tore the back of my jogging pants, but only got the pants...no skin at all.

Well, I jogged home and called the Animal Control and they came out to take a report etc... While the officer was busy writing up the report, I started to talk about how frustrated I was that they (Animal Control) would not take a report on TinkerBell being mauled. The officer, who was very nice, looked at me astonished and asked what I was talking about. I explained that I had called them twice, on seperate days and spoke with the same person and I was told that they would not even take a report. Well, the officer apologized and said that she would get to the bottom of it and was able to retro-activate my report.

The officer confronted the girl that I had talked to and she explained that the kennel manager had given her the instructions. The officer could not explain why I was given inaccurate info, but again apologized. I discussed this with my neighbor, who pointed out something very interesting. The town this happened in is very small, everybody know everyone. There is a good chance that the kennel manager knew the state trooper and therefor gave me the false info.

Of course I cannot prove this, but it does sound suspicious. As the Animal Control Officer told me, they always take a report on EVERYTHING, that is her job!!!!

So a report has been made and I will probably find out something next week. The officer said that there will be a hearing with a board, myself and the chow owner to determine if this dog should be labeled dangerous and ficious. If the dog is given the title, then there is kind of a 3 strikes rule for this dog.

I feel vindicated even if no one pays the bill for TinkerBell. I am not out of my mind, nor am I in an episode of the Twilight Zone!!! LOL

By the way, I will have to go before this same board with the owner of the lab, too! They are probably going to take a double take when I show up again for that case!

Thanks everyone for your support, I could not have gotten through this without you!

A similar thing happened to us growing up. Our neighbor had two doberman - one was nice and one was mean. The mean one bit 4 children before ANYTHING was done. The animal warden went to school with our neighbor- urghh

Jenny, GOOD FOR YOU! I am so glad you were able to move this forward as it sure helps to know someone has listened and the owner will now at least have to answer to an authority. But I am sorry that happened because you had a lab try to bite you!!:eek: Good luck now on getting both things settled.

Everything happens for a reason...right? ;) I'm glad you weren't hurt by the lab but so glad for the end result. You should indeed feel vindicated!

Gosh, Cathy - great minds! My very thought was that all things happen for a reason. The Animal Control person was definately sent back to you to get the story about Tinkerbelle and the chow.

I'm glad that things are working out as they are. At least you will feel somewhat vindicated.

oh wow thats brilliant news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so glad tinkerbell is doing great and you were finally able to get a report done! hope everything turns out great!

I'm so glad things are being handled correctly now. :w**h**:

Both of those dogs should be labeled dangerous, and the lab owner owes you a new jogging outfit. I am sooo looking forward to hearing the chow owner has paid for your vet bills, too!

Back