• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Took Dylan to vet, SM? Long post, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Pauline, so glad Dylan is feeling better. I know you must feel much relieved to know he is comfortable and apparently your approach is working.

Its good to hear that Dylan is feeling more like his old self now he is on the meds. Has his fur started growing again yet? My Buster (white Boxer) had a heart scan done just before Dylan had his scan, and Busters fur is growing over now which is just as well as they shaved one whole side of his rib cage.

I'm so glad Dylan is feeling better.:flwr:

With Geordie, I find that once in a while he needs a small dose of Metacam (which is a NSAID like Rimadyl) at night. It might be when the weather changes. It's nice to have a little something extra to help him when he's lip-licking at night and cannot settle down to sleep. Even a small dose helps him for 24 hours, along with his Gabapentin and Omeprazole.

This evening Dylan tried to get under my duvet and then started to scratch his mouth really hard. Then he left my room and started rolling around on his back. He didn't appear in pain, I hope it wasn't a pain episode?

Dylan isn't good this evening, air scratching quite a bit and asking to sit outside or have the back door open and sit on the door mat where cool. This is his first day without Rimadyl :(

Pauline, I'm wondering if his Gabapentin needs to be adjusted? Geordie is on 100mg every 8 hours around the clock. Does Dylan get a dose of it every 8 hours around the clock?

Yes at 8am, 4pm and midnight or 11 if I'm not staying up. It's quite a marked difference, I will phone on Monday. Last time I phoned at the weekend someone told me to change the dose to 100mg twice a day and I called again to double check with Dylan's neurologist and she said to stick to 50mg three times a day. She said to call her if I think there's any problems. 100mg 3 times a day would be the max for Dylan's weight.

You know it's very frustrating, everything happens to us on a Friday and I have to stew over the weekend.

I think I'll take him to the vet tomorrow. It's normal surgery, not emergencies on Saturday. They might have some Rimadyl.

Yes, Rimadyl or Metacam is good for additional pain control. If he gets side effects from either of those, there's always Tramadol, which is a common pain reliever for dogs.

Hi Pauline, Sorry to hear that Dylan is having a setback. Hope you get some help from the vet this morning. :xfngr:

Hope you get some help at the vets this morning please keep us informed
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Morning Pauline, how did you get on at the vets? Hope everything is ok, fingers & paws :xfngr: that they could help.

Thinking of you:hug:

I called the vets this morning and I didn't have to take Dylan in, they just gave me 10 Rimadyl and I can break them in half. Dylan was licking his lips a lot this morning. I'd only know this symptom from you Cathy. Other than that he's ok so I won't be giving him these pills until I see he needs it.

I got some fish4dogs in the post today. He loved it!

Glad that he liked the fish4dogs and sorry that he had a bit of a set back!! keep us posted!!

I called Victoria at the RVC this morning and asked about increasing the gabapentin. She's very kind, doesn't seem to mind me calling to ask questions. She would prefer to put him back on rimadyl and keep the gabapentin at 50mg 3x a day as she said he is only 5kg. I'm sure he's heavier, I thought 7.8kg. Anyway, I said I'd like to try 100mg twice a day or I could split that into 3 portions. She said I can try that and call her at the end of the week. She doesn't want to try steroids yet, worried about side affects. I think she takes the approach that we may have to increase these drugs as time goes on and try different things if they don't work. It is early days after all, only just over 3 weeks since the treatment started.

Hello Pauline, so sorry Dylan hasn't felt well. :(
I hope you get his meds all figured out soon for the best level of relief possible for him. Sweet boy. I think of him and feel for you both. It is so hard to see them suffering.

Good Morning
Pauline and Dylan just a few hugs :hug::hug::hug:this morning
---Aileen and the gang (Barney----Jazzie----Jake)

I did some gardening today, boy am I tired. Dylan did a few excited laps of the garden and barked his head off. he looked really happy and lively. :D

I took 4x 50mg capsules and divided them into 3 for today and we'll see how this works for this week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back