• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Took Dylan to vet, SM? Long post, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pauline, I'm so glad to hear that Dylan looked happy this morning. Hopefully you can get the meds sorted soon so he can be regularly comfortable.

Hi Aileen, Dylan seemed better yesterday. I let him sleep in my bed last night for a change. It's colder in my room and I know he seeks out cold spots. He snored on the pillow by mine all night and kept me awake! He never usually sleeps so close.

Hi Aileen, Dylan seemed better yesterday. I let him sleep in my bed last night for a change. It's colder in my room and I know he seeks out cold spots. He snored on the pillow by mine all night and kept me awake! He never usually sleeps so close.

He is so comforted by being close to you. That is so sweet!

He is so comforted by being close to you. That is so sweet!

He doesn't sleep in my bed as a rule but when he does, if I cuddle up, he usually looks at me as if to say, "Argh!! Stop breathing on my face!!" and goes to sleep by my feet!

Dylan is doing quite well. He scratches a tiny bit, a few seconds once a day, not every day, and can be distracted so this might not be an SM scratch. Last time I took him out he didn't air scratch. He is definitely looking for cool spots to sleep and he will ask to sit outside everyday. He has stopped sun bathing. We have french windows and the sun streams in at about 9am.

Glad to hear that Dylan is doing so well Pauline :lotsaluv:

You're such a great doggy mommy! :flwr:

So pleased that he is doing so well my Barney loves to sleep on the cool tiles I think some times our homes can be a bit warm for our dogs
---Aileen and the home (Barney----Jazzie---Jake)

I got my new quote for insurance this year and it's less than last year so I'm relieved about that.

A question to those who have dogs on Gabapentin. How many days worth of pills will your vet give you? I persuaded them to give me two months this time as my insurance is about £14 a month but it won't cover the prescription charge of £5 or the £5 admin charge to my vet to put the insurance claim in. I am going to wait a while, 3 to 6 months between putting in insurance claims but the £5 for the prescription is a pain if it's monthly.

Last edited:
I don't know about Gabapentin but Jassy is on Vetmedin among other things and the Vet will only issue a prescription with quantities for 1 month with only 2 or 3 repeats depending upon when they have last examined him.

Thanks Norma. Apparently it's different with different drugs. I got 2 months worth last time but was hoping for 3.

If they are on a human drug such as Gabapentin, the vet has to re-examine them every 3 months under EU legislation in order to issue a prescription. So the maximum amount they will be able to give you is 3 months - or one month with two repeats.

£5 isn't bad for a prescription charge - some vets are charging £15 :eek:

HTH

Hi - hope all SM pets are having a comfy day today ...

My vet will prescribe Tilly a maximum of 300 gabapentin at a time - I did ask for 6 months supply to make it easier for the insurance claim - but he said (as per last comment) he has to check her out every 3 months before a new prescription can be issued.
I dont have to pay a prescription fee or admin fee if the vets supply the drugs - they are more expensive - but the insurance covers it .....
Since the diagnosis my policy hasnt gone up too much - but the excess has gone up to £90 per condition per year!

Update

:updte:

I called the RVC this morning as Dylan has been scratching more over the last few weeks, air scratching quite a bit on his walks. I asked to put Dylan up to 100mg 3 x daily of Gabapentin. At present he is on about 66.6mg 3 x daily. Victoria, his neurologist, agreed but I have to keep an eye on lethargy, more so than is expected with an increase of Gabapentin (it does make them drowsy) and drinking more, this would indicate problems with liver.

The good news is that the software that has always been broken to print off Dylan's scan or put it on a disc is now rumored to be fixed. I was cheeky and asked for both! So I assume I can show you his scan online if I have a disc.

I told Victoria about the new vet and she said she'd like to send them his case history. So that's good, all sorted.

Dylan is off to the new vet today with an new issue, will explain in the health section later, for now I have a little fella barking to play fetch.:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back