• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Took Dylan to vet, SM? Long post, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not feeling very happy at all. My breeder sent me one of Gordon Inglis' write-ups on SM. :(

I tried to get over my fear of putting a harness on Dylan. He did air scratch all the way to the park in the center of town. I kept reassuring him. We went to the park and I put him on his long lead, it's one used for horses. I can't let him off, he is not neutered. This lead is very long and he gets a good run. What we like to do is I call "come" and start running in the opposite direction and he charges along towards me. This boy looks stunning when he runs. He was the delight of his training class when we did recall. We met a B&T boy who was beautiful and a tiny cross breed who usually goes for dogs but she loved Dylan.

Unfortunately, on the way home, we walked past the veterinary practice. We saw a dog outside and went to say hello but the owner said to keep back as her dog had kennel cough, I hope we were not too close, after being told kennel cough can travel 1 mile. Dylan is due his vaccine next month. But as you know, the vaccine doesn't cover every strain of kennel cough. I did ask for it early as lots of dogs have it at the moment but the vet said to wait until after the neurologists consultation.

I'm sitting here thinking about SM, and I too think Casey may have it. So it is worrying to say the least. About the harness thing...Casey has NEVER air-scratched UNTIL I put a harness on her! As soon as I did, she air scratched for about 20 feet until I almost burst into tears and took it off. I was freaking out.

She will always wear a collar- she does not pull (ever) and it doesn't bother her. Have you tried Dylan in a collar? Since it seems that their armpit area seems to be so sensitive (it is w/ Casey) is it possible that harnesses actually create pain since they distribute pressure all around, including under the arms? Just a thought. I know they are supposed to be better for the SM and herniation, but it seems to cause pain i Casey and possibly others including Dylan.

Thank you Trisha, I hope you are able to get some treatment for Casey.

I really can't bear the thought of putting a collar on Dylan with the knowledge that his brain might be exposed there. Dylan does pull on the lead. I see your point about the harness though. If anyone has any ideas I would be very pleased. I know the lady who designed the Mekuti Balance Harness. Maybe I could call her and ask if she could design something.

Pauline, I've only just read your above post. Please don't let your breeder's reply to you upset you, it was very insensitive of her when you are so worried about Dylan. It sounds as if Dylan still enjoys his walks so make the most of these and remember that there are many dogs who still enjoy a great quality of life even with SM.

And Trisha, sorry to hear that you too are worried about Casey. Have you taken him to the vets yet? I can't help much about the harness/collar query but am sure somebody out there has some advice from experience.

Best wishes,

oh, pauline i have not been on for a while but my thoughts are with you i will be counting the days till the 15th, hopefully it wont be as bad as you think. I wish i lived near you to give you a big hug, Dylan is so lucky to have a kind and caring mum like you, and you are doing your best and you must try and take strength from that:hug:

HI Jan, Thanks for your concern. Yes, Casey has had every test imaginable to rule out all else before I go to the neuro. Unfortunately, the local neuro (from what I understand) requires an MRI before doing anything, and we simply don't have the money now. My vet prescribed Rimadyl for the time being and it has helped immensely, although just in the past two days the scratching is back.

I just have to add that I have just read all the comments on Dog World and the comments by Norma and her clam, including Bet (who posted here previously, but it sounds as if she has been banned) leaves me speechless.

WHAT IS THE ARGUMENT EXACTLY?????????

Cavaliers clearly have SM in disproportionate numbers compared to ALL other breeds (although other breeds do have it). So I just don't understand...what is their point? Are they trying, really, to convince people that this is not a problem? Please help me understand.

But I thought there were no decent epidemiological studies in Cavaliers....??

I'd like to see that video Pauline thanks

OH Pauline big hugs hun, i think my ruby has got it too!! i tried to hide it and ignore it! im good at running from problems! Thinking of you and Dylan. xxx

I'm not feeling very happy at all. My breeder sent me one of Gordon Inglis' write-ups on SM. :(
Well that would certainly NOT be helpful. :bang: I cannot think of anything less helpful to an owner of a dog that one fears has SM.

I hope your scan will go well, Pauline. I would send the result and write up to your breeder by registered post so that she definitely knows his status.

Mark if you want all the current research references to SM also try:

Cavalierhealth.org

smcavalier.com

This was written some time back by Geoff Skerritt, one of the leading neurologists in the UK and the first to identify SM in the breed in the UK. He has now MRId over 1000 cavaliers:

Mr. Geoffrey Skerritt, BVSc, MIBiol ,CBiol, DipECVN, FRCVS on CM/SM in the breed:

"At ChesterGates Referral Hospital, and before that Cranmore Veterinary Centre, we have seen approximately 600 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels since we were aware of this condition, and our experience is that about 85% of these are showing clinical signs and/or MRI features of CM [the malformation]. Work by geneticists has established that this is an inherited disease although there is some dispute about the precise factors that are genetically transmitted. The inheritance not only results in visibly affected dogs but, as carrier status almost certainly exists, an appreciable proportion of the 15% are capable of transmitting the condition. So, it is likely that there is only a handful of Cavaliers that do not possess genetic factors for CM, and maybe none in the UK. Admittedly CM is not a fatal disease on its own but it can be severely disabling and it seems that some individuals suffer considerable discomfort and actual pain; human Chiari patients can give a clear description of the sensations that result from the disruption of nervous tissue in the development of syringomyelia.
"To ignore CM and continue breeding of Cavaliers with no effort to exclude affected dogs is frankly irresponsible. The situation is almost irretrievable because of the high incidence, and success in saving the breed will take hard decisions and 100% cooperation by breeders. The Kennel Club could be highly influential in the rescue effort; awards in the show ring should not be given to affected dogs. All Cavaliers should be screened with MRI and provided with a certificate that clearly states the MRI findings. I should add that MRI is a highly accurate and advanced technique which can clearly differentiate between dogs that have CM and those that do not. However, it does not identify carriers that have no evidence of the condition."

no decent epidemiological studies in Cavaliers....??

How do you define 'decent'?

Oh I'm so sorry Katie. Please be brave and go to your vets. I know how you feel, I went the day after the BBC documentary as I had never seen air scratching like that. I knew Dylan did this just a little but I had no idea, I thought his harness was itching him. I'd stop, make sure his hair wasn't tangled and carry on. When I walked him to town the day after, he did it all the way. I walked straight to the vet. I was numb for a few weeks, I did what I had to do but I didn't cry for a long time. Now I cry all the time, you have to expect that, but I will get used to it and once I know for sure I will deal with it. AND I know you guys will say all the right things just like we would for you Katie. :hug:

Oh pauline sounds exactly the same as my ruby!! I thought it was normal! hubby said all dogs have itchy bits! hubby said i was paranoid,i want ruby tested for sm, im willing to pay pounds to have her tested for it, I feel so heartbroken just thinking she could have it! but if she has others will know about it. i need to know where i got to from here?? my vet doesnt seem to know bout sm, do i change vets? any good vets in wales? xxx

when i said to vet about sm in king charles he really didnt know what i was on about do you think i need to change vets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back