• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can the cavalier breed be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the cavalier breed be saved ?

CAN THE CAVALIER BREED BE SAVED?

I believe that there have been 10 New Cavalier Champions this Year , I wonder if all have been Health Tested,and have been Bred following the Breeding Line Recommendations, if they have that could be such a Good Way of Trying to
Give Cavaliers the Chance of Healthier ,Longer Lives.

Bet

I sure have had my Eyes Opened this Morning Reading , if I am allowed to mention the Chatterbox , what a Vitriolic Attack was made against we Lovers of Cavaliers in her Health Section.

All I can say to the Question

CAN THE CAVALIER BREED BE SAVED.?

After this Attack ,

NO CHANCE!!!!!

Bet

Hi Bet,
I've had a really good look again through Chatterbox and can't seem to find anything like what you describe?
Sins

towels
Although I think this forum is absolutely wonderful, the vast majority of people looking for a new dog or puppy are not going to visit it. However, I do think Facebook has the power to reach far more people. I noticed that "someone" started a Facebook group called "Save the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel". Maybe if we can post facts and links to articles and basically just spread awareness to the public, we can get the word out.

This will probably scare some people away from getting a Cavalier, but that's not actually a bad thing... if the demand goes down, then maybe PMs & BYBs will slow or halt their operations or switch to another breed (sorry, I hate to think of that alternative, too). But the idea would be to reach people who are going to get one anyway, or know someone who is, and make sure they know what they are getting themselves into and what steps can be taken to improve the odds of less heartbreak down the road.

It's so important that the information be accurate, though, so if anyone posts something we should be sure that it is correct and can be backed up by research, evidence, or at least written by someone proven to be a trusted authority on the subject.

I hear you and will send PM. I obviously don't know the accurate information but I have found it really sad and hard to get anywhere or have guidence. Its one thing to say things but we need direction or at least I do.

Tania did a wonderful job with cavaliermatters.org but it also has a lot of UK information. This thread and forum is great but the majority of pet owners will not care about cross breeding, however I know its interesting to talk about.

Facebook reaches a lot of people but I have gotten sucked into believing something I read to not be true. Most people are not going to read published papers etc. Yet we need you all but also to lend us a hand who are not as familiar.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Can the cavalier breed be saved ?

Look under her Chatterbox Categories ,under Health,

Bet.

Seems as if the Health Section has now been removed from the Categories on Chatterbox.

Bet

Seems as if the Health Section has now been removed from the Categories on Chatterbox.

Bet

Bet, what was the gist (I hope that word does not have a different meaning in the UK) of what you read about health on Chatterbox today?

Bet, what was the gist (I hope that word does not have a different meaning in the UK) of what you read about health on Chatterbox today?

Rod,

Yes, you have got the Right Word, can I say though how Shocked and Scunnered ,( Scots Word for Disgusted ),at what you had to Take.

I had Printed off from the Health Section on the Categories in Chatterbox before it wes Hastily Whipped Off yesterday

Why it was ever being used again ,I just can't understand .

The Article had appeared in OUR DOGS about maybe Two years ago, why it was being Rehashed in the latest Edition of Chatterbox , only the Editor will know.

It was mainly an Attack against Jemima Harrison who had produced the TV Program Pedigree Dogs Exposed,mentioning that it was a Grossly Biased of Gutter TV.

I will not Mention any of the Personal Comments against Jemima Harrison.

I will Mention what was said about our Cavalier Breed and Reproduced in Chatterbox ,17-12- 2010 from this Article,that the Neurologists had No Idea about SM Figures in Clinically Affected Cavaliers,that the Lack of Facts and Figures allied to the Fact that Involvement of any Genetic Mechanism .

There were more Personal attacks made in the Article against those who are trying to give the Cavaliers a Future , but I won't give those Details.

I have Absolutely NO PROOF ABOUT THIS, but has this Article been brought to the Fore again , because we have now Learned that there are some Cavalier Breeders who are trying to Hinder the MRI Scheme being used by the Researchers.

If it is ,what a Way for 2010 to have Ended for our Beloved Cavaliers.

Bet

There is still a cache of the chatterbox health section on google. It is here and at the bottom is an article, "Spotted At Ringside", that includes remarks about Jemima Harrison and "one or two other fellow attention seekers' and egomaniacs".

I don't know if this is the one you were posting about Bet?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...alth+jemima+harrison&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Oreo

I read from the 29 March 2010 issue of Chatterbox a cut-&-paste of an "Our Dogs" article titled: "Spotted at the ringside by an OUR D0GS reporter". Whoever he is, he is pretty clueless about what researchers have and have not yet found out about Chiari-like malformation and syringomyelia in the breed. But, I am sure from the way he (she?) wrote his piece that he enjoyed doing it.

Can the cavalier be saved?

There is still a cache of the chatterbox health section on google. It is here and at the bottom is an article, "Spotted At Ringside", that includes remarks about Jemima Harrison and "one or two other fellow attention seekers' and egomaniacs".

I don't know if this is the one you were posting about Bet?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...alth+jemima+harrison&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Oreo

CAN THE CAVALIER BE SAVED?

Yes Oreo, that's the one,why the Editor of Chatterbox had to put this under the Categories on Health , on the 17-12-10 as it was an Article about 2 years old ,published by Our Dogs , I just don't have a Clue,only she will know.

I know there are Feelings at the Moment about the MRI Scheme and some Cavalier Breeders trying to delay it, whether this why this Article has been Raised again I would'nt know, but it's so Sad that the Editor must Condone it, to have had it Reprinted once more in her Chatterbox.

Bet

CAN THE CAVALIER BE SAVED?

Yes Oreo, that's the one,why the Editor of Chatterbox had to put this under the Categories on Health , on the 17-12-10 as it was an Article about 2 years old ,published by Our Dogs , I just don't have a Clue,only she will know.

I know there are Feelings at the Moment about the MRI Scheme and some Cavalier Breeders trying to delay it, whether this why this Article has been Raised again I would'nt know, but it's so Sad that the Editor must Condone it, to have had it Reprinted once more in her Chatterbox.

Bet

CAN THE CAVALIER BE SAVED ?

Can I clear this matter up once and for all.

Tha Article I mentioned in my Post about what was Printed in Chatterbox, 17-12-2010,was in the Editor's Categories Column ,under Health ,I printed it off.

Looked again about a Couple of Hours later , the Health Category part had been removed , whether that had been done by the Web Master, I will never know.

Bet

I read from the 29 March 2010 issue of Chatterbox a cut-&-paste of an "Our Dogs" article titled: "Spotted at the ringside by an OUR D0GS reporter". Whoever he is, he is pretty clueless about what researchers have and have not yet found out about Chiari-like malformation and syringomyelia in the breed. But, I am sure from the way he (she?) wrote his piece that he enjoyed doing it.

Yes the reporter had no idea at all what they were talking about.

This is an article where 'Our Dogs' were forced to publish an apology in the following edition.

Gutter press reporting

I would think someone wisely reflected on one or several of these concerns:

• reprinting an article without express permission from the publication is a copyright violation
  • reprinting an article that Dog World had to issue an apology for after numerous complaints pointing out the many incorrect statements within, and which was investigated by the press complaints body in the UK, would probably not be in the best legal interests of the columnist, website nor the original publication
  • setting up a 'health' section in which the first and only item was this article, at a time when the club and well known breeders are trying to present themselves as having at least some minimal concern about the serious heath problems in the breed, surely would have made such claims seem asinine and this would also have been a deep embarrassment to the club

But again: it is quite useful to be able to cite this as an example of how certain breeders see the world.

Yes the reporter had no idea at all what they were talking about.

This is an article where 'Our Dogs' were forced to publish an apology in the following edition.

Gutter press reporting

That story-about-the-story is very interesting. Of course, in the USA, no one could have forced the magazine to issue an apology for such an article. And so it would remain out there to influence public opinion. But even more interesting is the fact that the author actually did engage in the very practice which he accused the producer of PDE of doing. Here is an excerpt:

"In a recent piece in the Daily Mail on the Beckhams' Bulldog, she is grandly described as a 'broadcaster and campaigner', but what are her credentials for such a title? In another publication, we are informed she has a couple of Flat Coated Retrievers and had done some rescue with that breed. Hardly sufficient for her to set herself up as an arbiter of what is right or wrong with pedigree dogs, is it? Clearly, she believes it is! And it is all good for the bank balance!"

Some of us in the USA have a phrase for this kind of writing: "Drive-By Media". It means that the "journalist" will make veiled accusations to suggest evil-minded motivations on the part of his subject (his target?), despite the lack of any factual basis, and then "drive on by" without consequences to the writer, to attack someone else in the same feckless manner at the next stop. I think it is a way for these "journalists" to atone for their own sins. They don't repent, of course, but they single out other people and accuse them of commiting those same sins, thereby deluding themselves into thinking they have performed a public good deed. Hypocrisy is their best friend; it gives them ideas about what -- and whom -- to write about.

As he wrote: "Of course being fair to such breeders is contrary to cheap sensationalist TV." Thus, hypocrisy thrives amongst the drive-by media.

(I need to add, however, that hypocrisy is a sin which everyone has committed, at one time or another. Whoever claims otherwise is a hypocrite! But to fail to recognize it as a sin is a path to hell, and to elevate it to an art form is the path to modern-day pseudo-journalism.)

Last edited:
I would think someone wisely reflected on one or several of these concerns:

• reprinting an article without express permission from the publication is a copyright violation
  • reprinting an article that Dog World had to issue an apology for after numerous complaints pointing out the many incorrect statements within, and which was investigated by the press complaints body in the UK, would probably not be in the best legal interests of the columnist, website nor the original publication
  • setting up a 'health' section in which the first and only item was this article, at a time when the club and well known breeders are trying to present themselves as having at least some minimal concern about the serious heath problems in the breed, surely would have made such claims seem asinine and this would also have been a deep embarrassment to the club

But again: it is quite useful to be able to cite this as an example of how certain breeders see the world.

I am so Pleased to Note that there have been around 3, 800 Views to this Thread,at least Many Cavalier Owners who Truly Love the Cavalier Breed, will Understand what is happening here in Britain to-day, how some Cavalier Breeders are Determined to do everything in their Power to Hinder the Research for SM and MVD Progressing.

At least the Web Master seems it was Good Policy to Remove the Health Section which contained the Venemous , Vindictive Article from the Categories in Chatterbox,

Why it was ever included as Recently as 17 -12- 2010 in Chatterbox for all the Denials that are being given,there was no Reason for it to being there,could it possibly be ,that there is a Hidden Agenda being Involved ,we will never know.

All that we Lovers of our Beloved Cavalier Breed know is that there seems to be some Cavalier Breeders Intent on Scuppering the MRI Scheme from going Ahead.

At least Many Cavalier Owners will know what is going on.

Bet

Bet,
The article was indeed written around the time of Crufts this year and still remains on Chatterbox as an archived article.
It was not included in the Festive Chatterbox column of 17 th December.
When you said it was there,I went to view the blog and could find no reference to it whatsoever.At the time, the search facility under the various categories was still enabled,and when I searched under "health" I was taken to a report on the Blenheim show.
Evidently,the links on the right hand side of the page had never been enabled. So when we clicked on them,we were taken to a random part of a page from an archived edition of Chatterbox...I ended up in Blenheim...you at Crufts:-D.
There's no conspiracy theory,just a misunderstanding as to how such an out of context article could appear to have been resurrected.
Sins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back