• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mate Select

Davecav, I'd agree that a first priority for a buyer really should be health tested parents and ideally, grandparents as well. COI would be a consideration -- I do know breeders who have long focused on having them as low as possible, always within single figures, so it has been a consideration for some.

The facts are, that you'll still be very lucky to buy a puppy from fully health tested parents,i.e. heart,eyes,scans with maybe two or three of the grandparents scanned.

Sins, I think this is what so many find really discouraging and, frankly, shocking -- that it should be so very difficult to find puppies from fully health tested parents, even after years and years of discussion. None of the tests except MRIs are terribly expensive (and most UK breeders have access to MRI scans costing as little as £100); some tests only ever need to be done once. If breeders had been doing basic health testing all along, they'd certainly have results on all grandparents and great grandparents and further back for everything except MRis -- the MVD protocol has been around going on two decades, which is many generations of cavaliers. :(

I can think of breeders who have all this info plus MRIs on current breeding stock and also have DNA Ids on their registrations... and the puppies do not cost any more than the average show breeder puppies. There's also a very strong argument that scanning the dogs older the 5 is going to give a breeder the most helpful picture of a line rather than scanning a one year old with plans to repeat at 2.5, or only ever having the one dog scanned at breeding age. There are plenty of funds now availble to UK breeders to scan their dogs older than 5!

The fact that more breeders (the vast majority, I would say) don't have this basic information by now as a norm, really makes one wonder what people have been doing for the past two decades :(... and also maybe explains why the current UK club committee is refusing to publicly commit to the club's own basic health testing recommendations...icon_nwunsure and underlines how important and symbolic for all breeders such a commitment to the breed's health and future would be.

A lot of those cavalier COIs from MateSelect do seem incredibly low on some dogs that have long been calculated to have a much higher COI based on the older sites that enabled such calculations or those who use breeding software to do such calculations.

Bet, Sins is not a breeder and is a very health focused cavalier owner who shows one of her dogs, so your comments -- of the type which I already have asked you before not to direct at board members, please -- are doubly inappropriate. Please keep your focus and remarks on the topic.

Mate select

A lot of those cavalier COIs from MateSelect do seem incredibly low on some dogs that have long been calculated to have a much higher COI based on the older sites that enabled such calculations or those who use breeding software to do such calculations.

Bet, Sins is not a breeder and is a very health focused cavalier owner who shows one of her dogs, so your comments -- of the type which I already have asked you before not to direct at board members, please -- are doubly inappropriate. Please keep your focus and remarks on the topic.

MATE SELECT.

May I finish this Spate with Sins with this Quote.

PLEASE LORD ,KEEP YOUR ARM AROUND MY SHOULDER and YOUR HAND OVER MY MOUTH.

Bet

In light of what I've just put to you - are you still certain the the breed average COI% is 5.2%.
There's a disproportionate amount of focus being put on an arbitrary figure,which may not accurately reflect the true picture of breed COI. ...

I think this average COI, for cavaliers at least, is a futile effort thus far. More work needs to be done and should have been done before it was introduced. MateSelect is not ready for prime time, or even the summer substitutes.

Mate select

MATE SELECT.

May I finish this Spate with Sins with this Quote.

PLEASE LORD ,KEEP YOUR ARM AROUND MY SHOULDER and YOUR HAND OVER MY MOUTH.

Bet

MATE SELECT

KARLIN,

YOU will maybe know I have been Challenged on another CKCS Forum ,but I have asked the LORD TO KEEP HIS HAND OVER MY MOUTH ,so I won't be replying , I was asked if I had the Pluck to Reply , the only thing I have chickened out ,because I have Breast Cancer , and Radio- Therapy ,Iv'e got to the stage I'm having no more Mammogram Tests , if any-thing is found my old Body could'nt take any more Operations, I would love to Reply ,but I am sure your Hand is over my Mouth as Well!!!!!

Hope it's OK using the List in This way.

Bet

Mate select

MATE SELECT

KARLIN,

YOU will maybe know I have been Challenged on another CKCS Forum ,but I have asked the LORD TO KEEP HIS HAND OVER MY MOUTH ,so I won't be replying , I was asked if I had the Pluck to Reply , the only thing I have chickened out ,because I have Breast Cancer , and Radio- Therapy ,Iv'e got to the stage I'm having no more Mammogram Tests , if any-thing is found my old Body could'nt take any more Operations, I would love to Reply ,but I am sure your Hand is over my Mouth as Well!!!!!

Hope it's OK using the List in This way.

Bet

MATE SELECT

COULD I please return to the Subject of COI'S,I have been doing a bit of checking up on the COI's from the Recent Cavalier Breed Supplement published by the Kennel Club .

I worked out the the COI of the Parents and then the COI of the Off-Springs .

Here is one that caught my eye ,the Parents are Show Cavaliers

The Sire 11.9%

Dam 8.7%

Yet the Off-Springs were 15.6%

There were a few Parents at 4.3%, and the Off- Springs were over 9% .

Others for the Sire around 6.7%

Dam around 7.3%

The Off-Springs results were around 12.%

There does seem to be Many Show Cavaliers around the 12% ,some 14% and a Few 16-20% COI.s

Because the Cavalier Breed COI Average is 5.2 , and in 2009 in a check done by a Cavalier Breeder for 6 months with the Results from the Breed Cavalier Supplement, about 80 % of Cavaliers Redistered were Bred by Cavalier Breeders who were not Breeders in the CKCS CLUB.

Professor D. Balding,Institute of Genetics ,University of London, also has E-Mailed me mentioning that the Information available to the Scientists and Geneticists are from the Kennel Club's Electronic Records which only go back to around 1980.

Mate select

MATE SELECT

COULD I please return to the Subject of COI'S,I have been doing a bit of checking up on the COI's from the Recent Cavalier Breed Supplement published by the Kennel Club .

I worked out the the COI of the Parents and then the COI of the Off-Springs .

The Sire 11.9%

Dam 8.7%

Dam around 7.3%

There does seem to be Many Show Cavaliers around the 12% ,some 14% and a Few 16-20% COI.s

Because the Cavalier Breed COI Average is 5.2 , and in 2009 in a check done by a Cavalier Breeder for 6 months with the Results from the Breed Cavalier Supplement, about 80 % of Cavaliers Redistered were Bred by Cavalier Breeders who were not Breeders in the CKCS CLUB.

Professor D. Balding,Institute of Genetics ,University of London, also has E-Mailed me mentioning that the Information available to the Scientists and Geneticists are from the Kennel Club's Electronic Records which only go back to around 1980.

MATE SELECT

Could I add a further comment to my Previous Post.

The Kennel Club has mentioned in it's MATE SELECT -FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS,that the MATE SELECT Information is also for Puppy Buyers.

This In-Breedinging COI Calculator has been carried out by Drs S. Blott and T.Lewis, at the Genetic's Centre at The AHT,the In-Breeding COI'S are calculated from the Kennel Club's Data Base from 1980 for KC Registered Dogs.

As I have Explained, Professor D. Balding and Dr.T Lewis have both said that this is the only Information available to Scientists and Geneticists.

Now according the Kennel Club both Dog Breeders and Puppy Buyers can look at the MATE SELECT Information and decide as to whether the Dog Mating is sensible or not.

This so Important for and I will mention the Buyer of a Cavalier,that they are Buying from a Cavalier Breeder who has made a Responsible Decision, it now enables a Puppy Buyer armed with all of the Information that they need,it will now be Puppy Buyers who are creating a Demand for Healthy Puppies from Responsible Breeders that will drive Unscrupous Breeders out of Business.

These are not my Words ,but those of the Kennel Club .

If any-one disagrees with them I would suggest that they contact

thekennelclub.org.uk

Bet

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bet

Which words exactly are the words of the Kennel Club?

Most of the words I have just read appear to be yours, with a few names dropped in.

You have just re-hashed what has already been said far more eloquantly by others earlier in this thread, and turned into muddled confusion.

I'll now wait for the wrath of the powers that be to come down on me like a ton of bricks,:eek: but it has had to be said!:eek:

Last edited:
MATE SELECT

The Sire 11.9%

Dam 8.7%

Dam around 7.3%

Bet
It sounds as if you are questioning the figures. If it helps, send me the names privately, I will try to explain, privately, why the offspring have a higher COI than the parents.
All the best
Sue

Last edited:
Mate select

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bet

Which words exactly are the words of the Kennel Club?

Most of the words I have just read appear to be yours, with a few names dropped in.

You have just re-hashed what has already been said far more eloquantly by others earlier in this thread, and turned into muddled confusion.

I'll now wait for the wrath of the powers that be to come down on me like a ton of bricks,:eek: but it has had to be said!:eek:

MATE SELECT

Davecav

Most of what I said in my Post I Quoted from the Frequently Asked Questions in the Kennel Club's Mate Select Information.

I did add about Information I had been given by Professor D Balding, the only Liberty I took was Substituting the word Cavalier for the buyer of a Dog.

Mate select

MATE SELECT

Davecav

Most of what I said in my Post I Quoted from the Frequently Asked Questions in the Kennel Club's Mate Select Information.

I did add about Information I had been given by Professor D Balding, the only Liberty I took was Substituting the word Cavalier for the buyer of a Dog.

MATE SELECT

Could I return to the MATE SELECT Thread, I have found a Cavalier Puppy just registered with an COI of 33.7 %.

I had thought those days in the Breeding of Cavaliers were Long Gone!!!! with COI's like this !!!

No Not from a Puppy Farm !

Bet

Mate select

MATE SELECT

Could I return to the MATE SELECT Thread, I have found a Cavalier Puppy just registered with an COI of 33.7 %.

I had thought those days in the Breeding of Cavaliers were Long Gone!!!! with COI's like this !!!

No Not from a Puppy Farm !

Bet

MATE SELECT

I just wondered if this further information I have received about MATE SELECT would be of a wee bit of interest to some of you.This was a Question I asked about our Cavaliers and MATE SELECT

I am quoting .

Another way of looking at COI is as a Quantification of the Relatedness between an Animal's Parents.

So,Individual Parent's COI will have no bearing on the Off-Spring's COI .For example ,think of Full Sibs from Unrelated Parents .

Parents will have both COI=0 ,however the Progeny of the Full Sib Mating will have a COI of 25% .

Similarly Two Highly Inbred Animals may have Progeny with Zero COI ( an Out Cross for Example. )

I don't know , but is this all the Reason for the Mating of Cavalier Parents to be as far away as possible ,not Related in any way.as Professor Sir P. Bateson said in his Report, that even the Mating of Grand -Father to Grand -Daughter and Grand- Mother to Grand-Son is too Close.

Bet

Back